Can't shut off automatic updates in Windows XP?

I have Windows XP Pro. I want to disable the automatic updates but when I go to change the settings, they are all greyed-out.

I am the computer Administrator and the only user. Any reason why I can't change this? Any way to disable them otherwise?

Try it this way: go to start\run and type services.msc. A window will pop up showing you all the services installed. Look for "automatic updates", then right click it and select properties. From here you'll want to change the "startup type" to "disabled" and you can even stop the service immediately if you feel so inclined by clicking on the "stop" button under "service status".

Hope this works for ya.

Try this. Go to your control panel. Find "windows updates" in the list of control panel options. Click it. Now find the "settings" options. Click it. Change the settings options to : Check for updates, but let me choose whether to download and install them. By doing this, you will be prompted to pick which downloads you accept and install. You can figure out which one is causing your issue and just skip over it. It just means that you will have to keep your updates checking on your own every few days so you don't miss the important ones.