I've just started learning the flute and my problem now (apart from embouchure) is abdominal breathing.?

I can only sustain a note for around 3 seconds before I get out of breath. My flute teacher asks me to inhale right through to the tummy, but the thing is I just can't seem to do it right. Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

omg i have been playing flute for 3 years. yes you have to sit up straight with your shoulders back and your tummy full of air. don't force the air out all at once...you have to make the hole in your mouth small and control how much air you blow out. you don't need that much air to make a sound. and if you push to hard the flute will make a harsh ugly tone. don't do that. practice every day. good luck!!! hope i helped.

P.S. try holding your breath underwater to see if you improved or not

Source(s): section leader for my section,won a trophy and i have been playing for 3 years. i was in the battle of the bands.along with many other parades such as the thanksgiving day parade.