Medical Marijuana in Michigan and the Workplace..?

I was wondering now that Michigan is the 13th state to legalize marijuana for medical purposes will private companies still subject to testing for it in pre-employment and random drug tests foe patients??

And what are the stipulations? Obviously bus drivers and alot of other occupations won't be able to perform their duties while under the influence... right?

The reason I ask the question is because I have suffered from severe migraine headaches from the time I was a very young child. When I started using marijuana (for recreational purposes) in my late teen years I noticed a decrease in migraines. Now that I have stopped using (due to my job and random testing) I have more frequent migraines. My doctor has prescribed a handful of different medications and none seem very effective as the Excedrin brand I use now.

Now if I was to get prescribed to marijuana for my ailment, I was wondering how this would/could effect my job?? It is a desk job for the most part and I don't drive or operate any type of machinery. Would my company still be able to can me if I was to test positive??

Favorite Answer

Unfortunately I don't believe any of the 13 states that have legalized medical marijuana have any employment protection for the patients.

Also remember that it's most often up to the employers discretion to drug test, and this means for alcohol too. If you drink very heavily you can still fail a urine exam.

California tried to pass something for this but it didn't make it past Arnold.

I'm in California and I get it for deep ulcers in my stomach that have a tendency to bleed. I've had two major surgeries and three smaller laproscopic procedures. Most of my stomach has been removed or worked on and I use it for pain, and also for recurring nausea so I can have an appetite before meals and it helps with digestion and nausea after meals so I can keep my food down. My point being - I don't think there is a specific "list" - everyone is different, every problem is different. I hear mostly Medical Marijuana used for in the press and from talking to people at the clinic are Cancer, Glaucoma, pain,nausea from treatments and medications, Anorexia - oh hell, the list could go on...........

I think the dose you would take medically would be pretty low compared to what you did recreation wise.

So I do not believe it would impair you in such a way.

So if you had a script from a doctor I don't think legally there is much your employer can do about it.