what is the difference between radial and non-radial tires?

what is the difference between radial and non-radial tires???????? it is in the driving manual so i was curious!!!!!!!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The difference is in the design of the base tire carcass. Tires built for many years used a Bias or crossed ply design which was inexpensive and durable, and was very forgiving of minor flaws and variations in the lay out or positioning of the tire reinforcing material (the Ply's were not quite so critical in the positioning during manufacturing ) however the bias ply design also resulted in the tread of the tire "crabbing" or "wiggling" as the tire supported the weight of the vehicle was distributed over the tread as the tire rotated.

Radial tires, as the name implies, utilize a symmetrical radial pattern for the base tire ply's, this design requires a much higher level of quality control and design calculations than the bias ply does but at a tremendous improvement in both reduced rolling resistance (read improved fuel economy ) and in reduction of the crabbing (tire wear) and this results in improved control in cornering and better reduced traction (read Snow and Ice ) performance. This is the reason that almost all tires manufactured today are radial type tires.

Source(s): 30 years behind the wrench.
  • debora
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Non Radial Tires

• 1 decade ago

Radial tires offer two primary benefits:

1. Reduced rolling resistance for better mileage and tread life.

2. Weak sidewall to absorb road feel.

Non radial tires offer two primary benefits:

1. Reduced rolling resistance for better mileage and tread life (compared to straight bias ply tires).

2. Strong sidewalls for protection off road.

With radial tires you get a larger patch, contact with the road, but the reduced side wall strength of the radial would not be so good for a Dual Sport where you want a fairly strong sidewall especially if you ride in rocky terrain.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

I think what you really mean is radial ply and bias ply tires. They have different handling characteristics. NEVER mix them unless you need to put on an emergency spare. In such case, you driver slower until you get the tire replaced or repaired. That being said, I haven't seen bias ply tires for cars for quite some time, they are a specialty market for vintage show cars,

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what is the difference between radial and non-radial tires?

what is the difference between radial and non-radial tires???????? it is in the driving manual so i was curious!!!!!!!

Source(s): difference radial radial tires: https://tr.im/wJV5d
  • Robert
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Bias tires have the cords running from one bead to the other at about a 45 degrees angle. Radial tires have the cords perpendicular to the tread (zero degree angle).

• 1 decade ago

You wont find non-radial tires anymore, unless you attempt to order them. However, it would be difficult to find a shop that could order them. I'm pretty sure non-radials are more low performance than radials. I don't even know why manuals put it in there...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The way the tire is made.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.