Would a lutheran minister attend a civil wedding ceremony?

I've heard that lutherans don't like to mingle with non-christians, so I'm wondering if I should bother to invite my cousin, who became a lutheran minister recently, to my upcoming wedding? I don't want him to get into trouble on my account.

Favorite Answer

Invite him. He can decline without any problems.

Wow! As a general rule, Lutherans do NOT have issue's mingling with non-Christians. The only ones who might are WELS. (Let's be honest, they don't even like the rest of us Lutherans!) But LCMS and ELCA.... there is no issue! Invite your cousin... I'm sure he'll be happy to attend and celebrate in this joyful moment in your lives.

And, Lainiebs, we are NOT fundies! Far from it

Source(s): LCMS Lutheran, with lots of non-Christian friends.

A 'civil' wedding is conforming to the rules of secular government...so does the minister know this scripture?

Romans 13; Let every soul be in subjection to the superior authorities, for there is no authority except by God; the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. 2 Therefore he who opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God; those who have taken a stand against it will receive judgment to themselves.

Obedience to law [ except where it conflicts with God's laws ] prevents anarchy.

Source(s): NWT

1. You can always just ask him.

2. I've never met a Lutheran who doesn't choose to associate with

non-Christians, but maybe that's just in my area.

3. Congrats on your upcoming nuptials.

Non-Missouri Synod Lutherans aren't fundies. I don't see a problem.