Wiccan religion......?

This is sad asking about a religion on line but I need help.

Do you really need to go through a "ritual" to become a wiccan?

I always thought that All I really needed to do is study from books, so suggestions?

I know this is totally ignorant but I really do believe in some of the wiccan ways.

In the wiccan religion, should I pray to god (sun) and goddess (moon) and cast spells. All you can tell me about what it is you know about becoming and wiccan and what to do once you become one in the religion, please, please, tell me.

Again, this is totally offensive and ignorant, and normally I wouldn't do this, but I don't trust a lot of the sites out there, and I prefer to learn from books.

Best Answer

1)Ignore the fundies saying you’ll go to hell and are opening yourself up to demons. We don’t believe in either.

2)Get the book: Wicca, a Guide for the Solitary Practitioner by Scott Cunningham (Amazon.com used books is a great resource)

3)Avoid Silver Ravenwolf, DJ Conway and most Llewellyn books

4)Do NOT pay for lessons over the internet. You can’t ask for references. Do NOT give out personal information to anyone over the internet. Get a PO Box.

5)www.witchvox.com http://wicca.timerift.net

6)Learn and keep learning about various paths in paganism.

7) get the book: "Drawing Down the Moon" by Margo Adler (an older book that's a little dated, especially concerning Asatru but a good resource) - it gives an overview on a lot of pagan traditions.

# # #

Nat**** - keep your vile comments to yourself. Your Christian "love" is just overwhelming.

You don't need to go through a ritual to be a solitary Wiccan, but some prefer after a year or so of study and being sure they have found that Wicca is the path for them, to do a self-dedication.

If you were to join a coven within a particular tradition - then yes, most likely there would be some sort of initiation ritual.

If you're asking us who you should pray to, then IMHO, you have much more to learn before dedicating yourself to Wicca.

Wicca is about building a relationship with the God(s), Goddess(es) - it is okay to call them just that, God and Goddess or Lord and Lady until your personal gods reveal themselves to you.

Spellwork is not a requirement to be Wicca. Some Wiccans practice witchcraft. Some do not. As there are witches who are not Wiccan.

Wicca is a religion. Witchcraft (spells) is a magical practice.

I agree with this site as recommended above being an excellent source of information:

http://wicca.timerift.com/

damlovash: I am far from a depressed teen at 38 years old, as is my High Priestess at 50 years old and I could continue with a rather long list of my Wiccan associations, but I think you get the point.

You speak of what you do not know of. Please refrain from answering questions you do not have factual information for - you are not helping any askers by giving them false information. Same goes for you, Natasha.

First, its not sad that your asking online about a religion. There are people here who will truly help.

I am not Wiccan but have known some Wiccans in my time. If you wish to join a coven you do need to go through a ritual. I understand that many covens require you to study with them before your initiated in. If you wish to be solitairy your not required but you can do one at home alone and do it ho you wish.

As another said before, read the Scott Cunningham book on Wicca For the Solitairy Practitioner.

If you need to find some local pagans to talk to, check meetup.com. I found a great social group here in town that makes getting new info very easy. And although I am solitairy, I have been asked to come to public rituals quite a few times....which is a nice break to be honest.

Source(s): Eclectic Pagan

Seconds Blue Chaos.

WitchVox is a good site to help in your search.

And I agree with something someone else said, you need to do more studying.

But to answer your question.

No, you do not need to go through any rituals to "be" Wiccan.

There are Covens that will ask that you do a Dedication Ritual, but that does not make you any more or less Wiccan.

You can "pray" to any Gods or Goddesses that you choose.

And no, you do not have to cast spells.

I also suggest getting Scott Cunningham's Wicca: A Guide to the Solitary Practitioner since it's written in a style that is very easy to understand.

NO! I was Wiccan for some time, and most of my friends are. And in ways, even as an atheist, I still hold some Pagan world views. They are all what's referred to as "eclectics" and "solitaries." That means you form your own world/religious views from wherever you find inspiration, whatever feels right to you. My friend Holly identifies herself as Buddhist, but belongs to the circle and participates.

Most Wiccans these days are solitaries because they don't have any or a lot of Wiccans in they're neighborhood. My friends and I have always been against the whole needing a ritual thing. Some Wiccan groups are just structures to make the people feel good, and feed their egos. You know, that whole "high priestess" bit.

My former group all came together because the one gal started classes for us. She's been in the craft for life and people were always coming to her with questions so a class just made it easier. They jokingly refer to her as "head broom". They believe we're all equal in the sight of the Gods. None of that higher than you crap.

Just read read read all you can...about Wicca and other religions and go from there.

There is no ritual that makes you a Wiccan. However, most Eclectics (such as yourself) will perform a dedication ritual to formalize their relationship with their gods.

However, saying all you need to do is "read books" is not accurate either. You need to believe and you need to practice. Reading books just means you know about Wicca, not that you are Wiccan.

If you don't know the basic of Wicca, you're clearly not ready to become Wiccan. Study. This is a lifelong journey. There's no rush. First you learn about Wicca. Then you decide if its for you. Then you start practicing. Then you become Wiccan. And all that time you shoudl continue to study.

No, you don't have to cast spells.

Some people will tell you that only Traditionalist Wiccans are "real Wiccans", and Traditionalist Wicca requires coven initiation. However, this is a minority opinion in my experience, and not one that I agree with. it is important, however, to recognise there are differences in Eclectic and Traditional practices.

Here's some more info you might find helpful.:

http://wicca.timerift.net/wicca101/become_wiccan.s...

A polytheistic Neo-Pagan nature religion inspired by various pre-Christian western European beliefs, whose central deity is a mother goddess and which includes the use of herbal magic and benign witchcraft. A group or community of believers or followers of this religion. Most Christians will not admit this but as far as other religions go Wicca is not a bad way to live. Some basic Christian thoughts are from Wicca. As well as some other pre-christian practices. There is a ton of things taken from the Pagans that Christians practice on a daily basis.

First, you need to study. Most say for a year and a day, everyday.

Some covens require some sort of ritual or initiation, but there are many solitary Wiccans. As the name suggests, they practice alone, led by their heart. All you have to do is follow the Wiccan path to be a Wiccan. There are even some Christian Wiccans.

Study the Wiccan Rede and some of the other material. Follow your heart. With harm to none.

• Amy

No you do not need a ritual to become a Wiccan. All you need to do is self identify and follow it's teachings.

Google Wicca 101 for basic education. I beleieve it's at timerift.com. Witchvox is also a good site to learn from.

• I trust these

http://www.witchvox.com/

http://wicca.timerift.net/

For books, the best is Scott Cunningham's Wicca, a guide for the solitary practitioner