What's probably in that space above my kitchen cabinets?

The cabinets in my kitchen don't go all the way up to the ceiling. The space above them is boxed in. What's up there? What's the easiest way to find out without doing too much damage? And if it's empty, how hard will it be to remove all that excess material and open up that space for plants and baskets and stuff like that... Thanks!

5 Answers

  • M M
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    That is called a soffit and was trendy once. There may be some wiring in there; if you notice a clock outlet or have a light within the soffit, but that is good if you'd like to do some indirect lighting on the top of the cabinets.

    Soffits were usually made of 2" x 2" or furring strips and were either plastered or drywalled. Go to one end of the soffit and make an opening to see what is inside; that would be the easiest to repair if you decide to keep it. I have had great success locating hidden wiring and plumbing by using a digital camera with enough access to accomodate the aperture and the flash. Good luck.

    Source(s): Maness Contracting, Inc. Wheeling, WV
  • Ed A
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

    It could be a ducting run - figure the location of the closest vents near the ends of the space above your cabinets to see if they match up.

    It could be empty - do you have a closet behind that wall? It's not that hard to punch a hole through the drywall (twice - once for each side of the 2x4 the wall is made of) and use a flashlight/mirror combo to 'see' what's in there

    if it is empty, be sure to see if the ceiling was used to 'anchor' the cabinets through the unknown space for support. the punch-through method will let you see what you have to work with

  • 5 years ago

    A Capaccino colour always looks lovely in the kitchen especially if you have stainless steel accessories. It will also tie in the two different colours of the cabinets and floor, will add contract with the countertops and is a trendy clean colour that people are using at the moment.

  • 1 decade ago

    probably either electrical wires from the lights in your kitchen, or nothing and it was just made for show.

    you can make a small hole to find out, then buy wall filler later and fix it

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    there is nothing up there . mine is open and i am working on closing it off .

    wife likes it because it is shelf space . myself i think it looks like shat .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.