?

What are some positive ways that we can respond to those of differing beliefs and values?

There seems to be so much insult and rancor between groups of differing beliefs and values, and I understand that this is fueled by a great deal of anger. I fully believe, though, that there are positive ways to respond when faced with someone who is perhaps ranting, perhaps insulting...something we have all faced from time to time.

I think that a lot of times people get carried away by emotion, and this can cause them to lose control and react in a belligerent, insulting manner. Although it may be hard, perhaps we can use the opportunity to exercise our own self-control, and respond in a measured, temperate manner.

How to do this is problematic; I personally try to see the hurt and frustration behind a person's ranting and perhaps empathize with this; I may not agree or relate to their point of view, but I can understand that I am faced with a person who may not have a lot in life, may feel a great deal of frustration, may feel that they have to rant and raise their voice because they are so often dismissed and ignored in their daily life.

When all is said and done, we are all people with lives and worries, problems with health, problems with finances, problems with loved ones, concerns over the future. Perhaps the key to unlocking the best in ourselves comes when we choose not to vent our frustration on others, or, when faced with a person who finds in us a target for their frustrations, to respond positively, calmly, and rationally.

These are just a few of my thoughts on the subject, and I would like to hear yours. I think that there actually is far more uniting us as humans than there is dividing us; if we can tear down the walls of rhetoric and reach out to each other, we may just be surprised at the rewards we gain.

What are your thoughts, and thank you for your answers.

• Favorite Answer

You've written a fantastic piece on how to approach another person, and improve the interactions between individuals.

Why that approach doesn't work better, in R&S or in RL, is rooted in the way we run our society, with multinational corporations calling the shots and our entertainment designed to get our emotions in a tizz so we buy yet more things we don't really need.

Imagine if our world was structured more like what you described, where people genuinely listen to each other instead of projecting their own fears and desires onto each other. Where production was geared towards meeting our genuine needs, like clean food and affordable housing. Where we spent our evenings in real conversation, instead of being shouted at by the telly.

You and I can only do so much, and too often the gains from that conversation are pushed aside by the false urgency of our mad world. That we contribute less to that madness is a good beginning.

How do we take it further?

Source(s): (((Jack))) This reminded me of you. ;-) http://www.myspace.com/theblackdiamondexpress

I tended to try that at first. I still do sometimes. But it didn't get anyplace. Sadly I realized for some people it's deeper than the issues in their life that I could relate to like health or finances. Some people here really do hate & intend to do harm. Those upset me much more than some random questions that may not sound that nicely worded, but with a little work can be unraveled into a dialogue. Sometimes when I'm in a mood, I'm glad others are calm & it will bring me back into dialog too.

On intending to hurt... I can't count anymore the times I've read & had thrown at me classic anti-semitic stereotypes on here. And I don't read as much of the other topics, so I don't have a count on that either. These people may also have issues, but they are far to deep to do anything but defend against. In life I've found the direct seemly rude hit sometimes does the most. It's about power for them & degrading the other, so if you stand up with self-respect -- it will shift their perceptions in a way that nothing else will.

There's one the other day who pointed me to a 360 page that there is no way those words came out of that young girl's mouth in the picture (just the phrasing). Someone that distorted can't be "talked" into rationallity.

Once I get upset wtih that, I forget that other people might just be niave & unknowledgable & not actually intending the same harm. So my answers get rough for a while.

How I respond is by telling the truth. I don't have beliefs and values. I have faith. It's a very different thing and it's basis is certainty. I don't go out of my way to speak with rancor torward anyone, except for fundies, because they lie and lead people astry and they claim to be WHAT I AM. So, I must not back down there. Everyone else can be worked on worked with etc.

Sounds like you are trying to intellectualize away the fact that there are absolutes.

Everything that we value has an absolute truth to it.

Somone's "value system" is made up of varying levels of attaining to that absolutes. Even socrates new this, and I believe philosophy died with him.

As catholics we have absolute truths of which we are certain. Ideals as socrates would have called them. We never attain them until we get to heaven. On earth we strive for them -- that is what we do. It can only be done within the Kingdom of god/heaven on earth -- the catholic church.

And so yes to us everyone else is an outsider. But they are welcome to come inside we are open to all. Howeer they must conform to us, we must not conform to the world.

An example of an absolute. When does life begin? at conception. This is what we know to be true. Teh soul enters a separte creation of god at conception, and at that moment the conceived person the innocent has even if they are denied, but an understanding of what it means to be american and the "natural rights of man" which is what this contry is founded on. Is that all humans are endowed with rights. It is the duty of govenment to protect these rights. So, if life begins at conception which it does, then the innocents, the aborted are denied thier civil rights. Which it is the duty of the govenment to protect.

These innocents, who have done nothing but be conceived are being denied ehir civl rights just as sure as the slaves once brought to the us from afirca were denied their civil rights.

This is an ideal, a value and it is absolute, there is no comprimise or recognizing other points of view, on the denial of civil rights to innocent peole who's only crime is that they were conceived.

CIVIL RIGHTS FOR THE INNOCENT! NOW!

I agree with what you wrote. We all have the capacity to be more kind, loving, compassionate, grateful, forgiving and all of those other things that can and do elevate our lives. Whether or not we choose to utilize that capacity is really about how we choose to live our lives. What I always come back to is that if we want the world to be a better place, the best place to start is with ourselves. From what I can tell, there are many other people who feel the way that you and I do...logs of people...and it does help to know that we are not in this alone. Best wishes to you!

• Lule

My mother is Lutheran (Christian). My father is Christian. I was Lutheran, then a Christian who worshipped with the Baptists and now I'm a Scientologist. It doesn't strain my relationship very much. It upsets my mother a little, my father doesn't seem to show much of a reaction. They seem to regard it as a phase or an act of rebellion done only to annoy them. They choose to ignore it. Well, you can always hide your Atheism, or stand tall and be yourself. I know that's not particularly helpful, but some families won't tolerate certain things whether they're reasonable or not. The only thing you can do is remember - it's not you, it's THEM. You might remind them of some unsavory things they've done and then explain that you paid them enough respect not to lie to them about what you're able to believe and what you're not.

• ?

This whole Question and answer site is about Beliefs. Religion. A subject of many, many wars. Some won, more Lost.

GOD gave us all free will. We, as human beings (ALL) Actually have our Creator inside of them. You can say to me "There is no such thing as any GOD or Demons" But Friend, you are only lying to yourself.

If a Person has poor Health, a whole lota bills going on, Nothing but trouble,trouble, and more trouble. We did not give them that trouble, Neither did GOD THE FATHER, (Which some blame right away for their troubles)

There is not one person in this World that can save another Person, It's almost impossible to lead them to GOD.Only JESUS can do this. They do not have any problems at all that THEY did not create for themselves.

I know all this for a FACT. For I was ONE. But not anymore. What JESUS CHRIST has to offer the Unbeliever, is not easy to grasp. Because it's FREE. YEP! That's right it"s FREE. Our little minds cannot process FREE?? There has to be a catch. And There is, A big change of life style.

ANYONE that reads this, and wants to get outta Jail, (So to Speak) Ask a CHRISTIAN. A real Christian will never look down upon you for anything. Because He or She is no better off than you. Our big difference is JESUS CHRIST. And Again HE'S FREE. For all who seek him.

My GOD Bless Ya,

Chicago Bob.

Our Country, Our President need YOUR PRAYERS.

Source(s): DA BIBLE.

We as a community on R & S tend to be a very emotional bunch, kind of like one big unhappy dysfunctional family in many respects.

The best we can do is just try and remain above the fray and not get into dirty tatics like insulting others or reporting them for silly irrational reasons. But I am realistic to know that this is not going to happen.

In my profile - I suggest that if people do not agree with me, to go ahead and e-mail me directly and discuss WHY they differ. I notice that the worst of the worst many times do not have their e-mails open - what are they so afraid of?

• Ramjet

I try to take a step back and breathe before even approaching any subject of volitility.

And I try to encourage others to do so as well. Often times, it's simply not worth getting involved - especially if I know it's just going to cause further stress for both parties and /or further hurt feelings.

((((((jack))))))

You also have to remember that many on this forum are very young and love to lash out and shock. Some just find being obnoxious fun. If you sift out the trolls you can find a good dialog between faiths. I know that I have learned a great deal about others here.

Why cant we talk on commonalities amongst the faiths n beliefs.

Why we try each other to convince/enforce my faith is best.

Why dont we analyze the different faiths n do comparative study instead of ranting.