What are some positive ways that we can respond to those of differing beliefs and values?

There seems to be so much insult and rancor between groups of differing beliefs and values, and I understand that this is fueled by a great deal of anger. I fully believe, though, that there are positive ways to respond when faced with someone who is perhaps ranting, perhaps insulting...something we have all faced... show more There seems to be so much insult and rancor between groups of differing beliefs and values, and I understand that this is fueled by a great deal of anger. I fully believe, though, that there are positive ways to respond when faced with someone who is perhaps ranting, perhaps insulting...something we have all faced from time to time.

I think that a lot of times people get carried away by emotion, and this can cause them to lose control and react in a belligerent, insulting manner. Although it may be hard, perhaps we can use the opportunity to exercise our own self-control, and respond in a measured, temperate manner.

How to do this is problematic; I personally try to see the hurt and frustration behind a person's ranting and perhaps empathize with this; I may not agree or relate to their point of view, but I can understand that I am faced with a person who may not have a lot in life, may feel a great deal of frustration, may feel that they have to rant and raise their voice because they are so often dismissed and ignored in their daily life.

When all is said and done, we are all people with lives and worries, problems with health, problems with finances, problems with loved ones, concerns over the future. Perhaps the key to unlocking the best in ourselves comes when we choose not to vent our frustration on others, or, when faced with a person who finds in us a target for their frustrations, to respond positively, calmly, and rationally.

These are just a few of my thoughts on the subject, and I would like to hear yours. I think that there actually is far more uniting us as humans than there is dividing us; if we can tear down the walls of rhetoric and reach out to each other, we may just be surprised at the rewards we gain.

What are your thoughts, and thank you for your answers.