What do I need to know before buying a piece of land that I eventually want to build on? ?

I am considering purchasing a piece of land to build our dream home on, but realistically won't begin building for a couple of years. What do I need to know? Taxes? Permits? Maintenance of the land? Electricity, city sewage, natural gas, etc. It would be easier to get a builder involved, I'm sure, but... show more I am considering purchasing a piece of land to build our dream home on, but realistically won't begin building for a couple of years. What do I need to know? Taxes? Permits? Maintenance of the land? Electricity, city sewage, natural gas, etc.

It would be easier to get a builder involved, I'm sure, but right now we are doing preliminary research and just want to get a piece of land while it's still cheap! Builders probably won't want to work with us yet since we're a couple years away from breaking ground.