IG Army Inspections: what's a gig?

I'm reading my father's old letters he wrote from boot camp (in 1968) and he talks about an I.G. Inspection that went on. He says that his platoon only got one gig and the others got 2 gigs, so the company got a superior rating.

So what's a gig?

I know what a "gig line" is regarding uniform dress, but it sounds here like a gig is a negative strike or deficiency of some sort. Any help would be appreciated.

• Mike S
    Favorite Answer

A gig is a down check meaning that something was wrong with whatever was being inspected. In 1968 an IG inspection was a career breaker for a commanding officer. If he did well on an IG inspection he would probably have a good career. If he did bad...well he could always go on to selling shoes. Things have changed somewhat now. I went through Basic a year before your dad and had to stand one myself. It was a bear, believe you me. Not historically a gig was a demerit that required some sort of pennance on the part of the individual that earned it. They are still prevelant at the various Service Academies and the NCO leadership schools. Good luck to you.

Source(s): First Sergeant, US Army retired
  • schel

Military Gig Line

The first proper concert I went to was with my daughter, then about 6 or 7, to see the Spice Girls at Earls Court. I had been to Radio One Roadshows previously but don't remember seeing anyone of any real merit, the one that sticks in my mind is Timmy Mallet when he did the "Teeny Weeny, Itsy Bitsy...." song, I think that horror will be imprinted on my brain forever, a sort of self-punishment, LOL! Went to see Macy Gray at Wembley Show Box, sorry, Arena, she had Black Eyed Peas before they were famous over here and before Fergie joined, as well as Roisin from Moloko. Same place for Duran Duran too, a product of my schooldays but I was never allowed to go and see them back then, they had Goldfrapp supporting. David Gray at Portsmouth Guildhall was probably one of the best performances, he's every bit as good live as on record and we were so close that if we tried we could probably have touched him.

A gig is a flaw or error. For example, if I'm having a uniform inspection, and my US brass is smudged, that's a gig.

A gig is a discrepancy, mistake, error, demerit found during the inspection!

A gig is a violation of regulations. Something out of place.