I need help with destitute Japanese sister in law?

My wife's sister is Japanese and lives in Tokyo area. Ten years ago her husband "divorced" her and their three children by just moving out. He is on social security and has an income, she had three young children and had never worked. My wife says that in Japan a man can renounce his family and not be responsible for their care by just leaving. Surely this society is better than that. Anyway, she has had to work but only finds part time jobs and does not earn enough to support all of them. Is this legal. Are there no social service agencies there that I can direct her to see?

Favorite Answer

A man in Japan cannot just walk out on his wife and children. He must be responsible for their welfare. There are also welfare agencies. I suggest your sister-in-law do some asking and find out where to get help. It's a lot easier than having you do it from America.

No, if she is not a U.S. citizen or green card holder. That's what family is for- a fail safe.