Does something autobiographical count as a novel?

I want to do the NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) thing but the only thing I can think to write about is my life (trust me, it's interesting) and I am not sure if "novel" only applies to fiction.

If I write a narrative about my life in the style of fiction, can it still count as a novel?

(see http://www.nanowrimo.org )

4 Answers

Relevance
  • ck1
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Your autobiography would not be considered a novel. A novel is always an extended fictional work in prose.

However, why don't you make up a fictional character who goes through some of your own experiences? You are saying your life is interesting, so a work of fiction with incidents familiar to you could be engaging.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

the defition of a Novel:

A fictional prose narrative of considerable length, typically having a plot that is unfolded by the actions, speech, and thoughts of the characters.

Unfortunately I don't think your Memoir will work for this since it is not fiction per say.

• 1 decade ago

Autobiography is by definition non-fiction; however, if you write a story drawing on your own life experiences and fictionalize aspects of it, that's a different matter.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can write anything you like for NaNoWriMo - nobody looks at what you've written.

You do realise it's already Nov 6th, right?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.