How do you pronounce Appalachia?

Is it apple-atcha, or apple-ay-chia? Or something else? Or what, depending on where you're from?

Just curious.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Technically, it depends on where you're from. If you live in or around the Appalachian Mountains, especially the central and southern section, you pronounce it App-uh-LATCH-uh. Anyone who pronounces it differently will immediately be seen as an outsider or someone being pretentious.

However, in most places in the United States, it is pronounced App-uh-LAY-shuh, even though this is a deviation from the historical pronunciation and enough to make most Appalachian natives (including me!) irate.

So basically, say it however you want outside of Appalachia, but if you go there, say it like the locals--unless you want spit in your grits and sweet tea.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How do you pronounce Appalachia?

Is it apple-atcha, or apple-ay-chia? Or something else? Or what, depending on where you're from?

Just curious.

Source(s): pronounce appalachia: https://shortly.im/E7KzN
  • 6 years ago

It's App-uh-latcha! I encourage everyone to watch the video. She explains it beautifully. Basically there's a town in Ireland with two names Derry, and Londonderry. The British renamed it after colonization. You can call it either one, but when you call it Londonderry you are saying that you sympathize with the British and can't be trusted. Apple-ay-sha came about from a place of condescending and implies that you are looking down upon or are better than people of Appalachia.

Besides you don't tell someone that they're pronouncing the name of their community wrong. They're the experts on that.

• 3 years ago

How To Pronounce Appalachian

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • urias
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Appalachian Pronunciation

• 5 years ago

Seeing as I grew up in Appalachia I pronounce it App-uh-LATCH-uh as does all others that live there and in the surrounding area.

• 3 years ago

We in New England ALSO have Appalachian mountains up here. "... in New England-- where the term "Appalachian" first came into widespread use by non-geologists thanks to the Appalachian Mountain Club and the development of the Appalachian Trail-- a variant pronunciation uses "sh" rather than "ch," as in Appal-ay-shuh.". Frankly, I get a bit irate that Southern residents of these mountains insist theirs is the only correct way to say it.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

I live here, its App Uh Latch Uh.

• 1 decade ago

I would say 'apple-ay-chia'. But thats just me.

I must've sounded really stupid saying and pronouncing appalachia over and over again just now.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.