Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

How did rosa Parks inspire others? and How was she a leader?

^v^

Update:

I know the story of her and the bus

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Parks' single act of defiance launched the yearlong Montgomery, Ala., bus boycott, which was led by the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., who was little known at the time. And it inspired a generation of prominent African Americans in fields ranging from constitutional law to cartooning.

U.S. District Judge Thelton Henderson in San Francisco, the only black civil rights lawyer in the Justice Department during the 1960s, said those in government and those marching in the streets took heart from Parks' example.

"There was a sort of feeling that if this little lady can stand up to them, then there's no reason I can't or we can't," said Henderson, who investigated the bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Ala., in 1963, in which four black girls were killed. "There was a lot of strength drawn from that act of defiance."

Morrie Turner, the first African American to have his own syndicated cartoon strip, "Wee Pals," begun in 1965, remembers being in a state of disbelief over Parks' actions. He had experienced racism in the deep South firsthand while serving in the military.

"We admired her guts," said Turner, 81, an Oakland native. He profiled Parks in his recent book, "Super Sistahs," and met her when the two shared a podium at the 1986 Labor Day Parade in Detroit.

"It was the highlight of my life," Turner said.

Rep. Barbara Lee, D-Oakland, said Parks sent her a letter of support in response to the torrent of criticism Lee received in 2001 when she cast the lone vote against the resolution that granted President Bush wide authorization to fight the war on terror.

"It was after I had taken so much heat for my vote," Lee said. "I pulled it out the other night just to read it again. I often read it to give me strength."

Born in Tuskegee, Ala., Parks grew up on a small farm with her brother, mother and grandparents. She later recalled that her childhood fears included lynchings and hearing the Ku Klux Klan ride at night.

Parks was working as a seamstress when she was arrested for breaking Montgomery's segregation laws by staying in her seat on the bus. But she also was an activist and had been appointed secretary of the NAACP's Montgomery branch in 1943.

Black leaders considered her a perfect symbol around which to rally public support for the boycott, which lasted 381 days, until the Supreme Court ruled in December 1956 that segregation on public buses was unconstitutional.

In the decades since, many diverse groups have laid claim to her legacy.

Jesse Jackson, head of the Rainbow/Push organization, said Parks changed the course of American history. Van Jones, director of Oakland's Ella Baker Center for Human Rights, said she should be called "the mother of American democracy."

"The United States couldn't really say it was a true democracy before then," Jones said.

Women were next to demand better treatment in society, urging wider access to jobs and stronger legal protections.

Many leaders of the women's movement got their start in civil rights but felt the need for their own movement in part because they were often relegated to second-tier status by the male-dominated leaders of the civil rights effort, said Martha Burk, chair of the National Council of Women's Organizations in Washington, D.C.

It's still hard to get minority and labor groups to support women's issues, Burk said.

"I think we support them more than they support us," she said. "You can't get some civil rights groups to come out against a Supreme Court nominee because you know they would vote to overturn Roe (vs. Wade), but you will get us to come out if they would vote against affirmative action."

Eva Patterson of the Equal Justice Society in San Francisco sees a modern-day version of Parks in Cindy Sheehan of Gold Star Families for Peace, whose vigil outside Bush's Crawford ranch drew national attention and made her the face of opposition to the Iraq war.

"I see a direct line from Rosa Parks to the modern women's movement and anti-war movement," Patterson said.

Advocates for the disabled said the 1991 Americans with Disabilities Act, which barred discrimination on the basis of disability, was patterned after the 1964 Civil Rights Act and 1965 Voting Rights Act, both of which grew out of the civil rights movement.

"The disability movement owes most of its success in terms of tactics and legal victories to the civil rights movement," said Mary Lou Breslin, senior policy adviser for the Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund in Berkeley. "Many of us look to (Parks) for inspiration and as a role model."

San Francisco District Attorney Kamala Harris said court cases stemming from the boycott and later civil rights laws expanded the definition of those covered by the Constitution, paving the way for the city's embrace of same-sex marriages.

"Her legacy most recently is what happened in San Francisco around gay marriage," Harris said. "She showe

Source(s): Rosa Parks' defiance in Alabama inspired many in Bay Area Article:Rosa Parks' defiance in Alabama inspired many in Bay Ar:/c/a/2005/10/30/MNGL5FGBO11.DTL ... They saw it as a tribute to Rosa Parks' activism. ... sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/10/30/MNGL5FGBO11.DTL - 83k - Cached
    • Login to reply the answers
  • fliger
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Rosa Parks Inspiration

• goon
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Rosa Parks Leadership Qualities

• 1 decade ago

Rosa Parks inspired African American because she showed them that they should have freedom, that they should have their own independence. And how she was a leader? She sat on the back of a bus when then the bus driver told her to give up her seat to a white man, she said, "No!" She got arrested for that when Dr.Martin Luther King, Jr. came in.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The most obvious way she inspired others was by refusing to give up a bus seat to a white passenger. This inspired the Montgomery Bus Boycott.

She'd been an active member of the NAACP, I'm sure before and after the bus boycott she played a big role in the civil rights movement. I think for a better answer, you could read a biography or her autobiography, there'd be no denying her positive impact on this country.

• 1 decade ago

Well if you know about Rosa Parks bus ride, then you know that she demanded equality by refusing to get up and go to the back of the bus when the white man wanted her seat. By doing this, she inspired others to fight for their civil rights and therefore she was a leader. It's hard to believe this was status quot not long ago, when yesterday we carved a new chapter in history by electing an Afican-American president.

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How did rosa Parks inspire others? and How was she a leader?

^v^

Source(s): rosa parks inspire leader: https://shortly.im/HfiYf
  • 1 decade ago

Rosa Parks inspired and rallied the African Americans living in the U.S. during the 1950s and 60s as she refused to give up her seat on the bus to a white man. During this time, her decision was seen as a climatic event as she stood up against the unfairness of the law. This inspired the African American community to rally against the unfairness of their conditions.

Rosa Parks was a "silent leader" for the equality of African Americans. It was Martin Luther King Jr. who was the real hero, but Rosa Parks initiated the first major rebellious behavior and although jailed, she was hailed as a hero and leader by the African Americans.

• 1 decade ago

Rosa Parks was a leader and inspired others for a few reasons. the way i see it is this...

imagine a group of bullies are bullying the school and no one EVER walks in the north hallway because they they know they will get pounded. someone comes along and walks through the hallway because they believe that as a citizen of the usa they have a right to walk through that hallway, well then other people realize that this person was right and before you know it everyone walks in the hallway and since everyone is united, then the bullies cant beat anyone up.

see...rosa parks was that someone.

Source(s): i did a report on rosa packs in elementry school and in middle school. i though she rocked...lol(really, i did)
    • 종현6 years agoReport

mistyped you put rosa packs

• 1 decade ago

Rosa Parks defied an oppressive culture. in her time blacks were hated, ridiculed, and treated like they werent human.

Rosa parks had the courage to stand up for her beliefs and the beliefs of millions of other people of her time even though she knew the consequences were dire. she inspired black people all over the place to stand up for what they believe in. if it wasnt for people like rosa parks we would not be the society we are today.

We now have a black man as president thanks to people with the integrity of rosa parks. She and many other people like her are the reason why we are the land of the free.

• 1 decade ago

She inspired others by refusing to give up her seat to a white man at the front of the the bus. Because of this she was arrested and the black people were angry. Lots of black people boycotted the buses, refusing to use them. She was a leader because she was the first black to ever stand up to a white man with authority. Because of her and many other black leaders, white and black are all equal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.