How about that stock market today?

Biggest loss the day after an election since 1896.

The following table shows the percentage rise or decline in the Dow Jones industrial average .DJI, Standard & Poor's 500 index.SPX and Nasdaq composite index .IXIC on the day after a U.Spresidential election and who won the Election Day vote.

2008 -5.05 -5.27 -5.53 Barack Obama

2004 +1.01 +1.12 +0.98 George W. Bush

2000 -0.41 -1.58 -5.39 No decision: G.W. Bush v Al Gore*

1996 +1.59 +1.46 +1.34 William Clinton

1992 -0.91 -0.67 +0.16 William Clinton

1988 -0.43 -0.66 -0.29 George H. W. Bush

1984 -0.88 -0.73 -0.32 Ronald Reagan

1980 +1.70 +1.77 +1.49 Ronald Reagan

1976 -0.99 -1.14 -1.12 James Carter

1972 -0.11 -0.55 -0.39 Richard Nixon

1968 +0.34 +0.16 --- Richard Nixon

1964 -0.19 -0.05 --- Lyndon Johnson

1960 +0.77 +0.44 --- John Kennedy

1956 -0.85 -1.03 --- Dwight Eisenhower

1952 +0.40 +0.28 --- Dwight Eisenhower

1948 -3.85 -4.15 --- Harry Truman

1944 -0.27 0.00 --- Franklin Roosevelt

1940 -2.39 -3.14 --- Franklin Roosevelt

1936 +2.26 +1.40 --- Franklin Roosevelt

1932 -4.51 -2.67 --- Franklin Roosevelt

1928 +1.20 +1.77 --- Herbert Hoover

1924 +1.17 --- --- Calvin Coolidge

1920 -0.57 --- --- Warren Harding

1916 -0.35 --- --- Woodrow Wilson

1912 +1.83 --- --- Woodrow Wilson

1908 +2.38 --- --- William Taft

1904 +1.30 --- --- Theodore Roosevelt

1900 +3.33 --- --- William McKinley

1896 +4.54 --- --- William McKinley

Update:

Yes Obama supporters, get used to everything including the changing direction of the wind being blamed on Obama. EVERYTHING. We've had to listen to this garbage for the past 8 years now it's your turn.

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

For all you people that say, "what is your point" or "Bush is still president", you obviously know jack **** about the markets. Markets react to (inter)national drama. A rumor comes that interest rates are dropping, the market goes up. The interest rates HAVEN'T dropped, but there is a rumor they will. Same thing for this, a change in president causes a change in futures for stocks. No one is going to wait until everything gets messed up, they see it coming and get ready for it. Stock markets are always looking ahead. Obama being elected is EXACTLY the type of thing that would affect the markets RIGHT NOW, regardless of him having not taken office yet. A drop like this after his election says more than you think.

• Pablo
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I hate to get on your bad side but....We know the market hates change and not knowing, We know the people are jumping ship to get on the good train because they were hoping to get ahead of the curve..We know it is time for a correction with a regime change... It is the last of the big swings the valleys and hills are going to be less radical. I am wishing it would have gone different so I would be way up but in the long run this is going to be much better.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Smart money knows that obama policy is bad for the US economy. I can't understand why people said Obama is not the president yet and he can't do anything about it. When someone put money in the stock market, they are betting that the price of the stock will climb up over the next few months or years. So today market reaction is a prediction that with obama as the president, the US economy will be worst in the next few months/years.

• meeks
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

bypass decrease back and examine all of the questions over the weekend. they're worded in procedures including: "what is going to Republicans do now that the inventory marketplace is rebounding...?" and "Now that Obama's inventory marketplace is going up, what is going to Republicans whinge approximately now...?" there are ideas positioned there by utilising Republicans to the effect of "There is purely no longer yet another Bernie Madoff to put in reformatory for all times next week; that became in straightforward terms a one-time deal." and there is your answer. President Obama's face in all probability flashed for the time of a television demonstrate someplace, and that, in itself, whether or no longer he stated the economy, will make the marketplace drop. EDIT: i'm sorry in case you do no longer think of the respond is "valid." i assume it incredibly is why you're perplexed. in actuality no longer "valid" to you.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

not a good sign as to whats in store for us , this also didn't make the news tonight . the media is in obamas corner .

but the economy has not hit its bottom yet unfortuently and will get worse before it gets better .

• 1 decade ago

I expect it to keep going down. Nobody is going to put money into companies that our new leader has vowed to harm.

The market is just reacting to bad news, like rats leaving a sinking ship.

• yup 500 points down. Brace your self people we are a heading for a depression as the old folks used to say

• 1 decade ago

That has nothing to do with President Elect Obama, but it already has a lot to do with how the economy already was. What does he have to do with the thousands of people that were laid off this week? Explain that one?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Bush is still President, Obama can't do any thing yet.

Talk about it when he comes into the office. I have good news for Democrats, Let Republicans sell their stocks at low prices and than purchase it. Its going to go up as soon as Obama sworn in.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

See? They're still blaming Bush just like I thought they would.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.