Does anyone have any classic book recommendations?

We're doing a book report project in my literature class and we're to choose a book from the following list of classics:

Little Women - Louisa Alcott

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

Wuthering Heights - Charlotte Bronte

Alice's Adventure's in Wonderland - Lewis Caroll

Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

The Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper

Robinson Crusoe - Daniel DeFoe

David Copperfield - Charles Dickens

Oliver Twist - Charles Dickens

The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas

Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier

Silas Marner - George Eliot

The Great Gatsby - Scott F. Fitzgerald

The Old Man and the Sea - Ernest Hemingway

The Iliad - Homer

The Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling

The Phantom of the Opera - Gaston Leroux

Merry Adventures of Robin Hood - Howard Pyle

The Story of King Arthur and His Knights - Howard Pyle

All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque

The Merchant of Venice - William Shakespeare

A Midsummer Nights Dream - William Shakespeare

Pygmalion - George Bernard Shaw

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson

Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson

Dracula - Bram Stoker

Uncle Tom's Cabin - Harriet Beecher Stowe

Gulliver's Travels - Jonathan Swift

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer - Mark Twain

The Prince and the Pauper - Mark Twain

The Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court - Mark Twain

The Once and Future King - T.H. White

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde

Yep...it's THAT long. Haha, so I need to pick ONE. I also want to read some of these books during my free time but I need one for school. What do you recommend? You can recommend more than one so I have a smaller selection but I just want to know what everyone else thinks. Also, try to pick ones without boring beginnings because if they're boring at first, it'll be hard for me to move on. Thanks so much!

Ohh, I also forgot to mention that I have to be able to do a biography on the author that's at least a page long and I have to be able to finish the book and write an essay and stuff in about a month or so. I'm a freshman, by the way.

Favorite Answer

So many great ones to choose from, if I have to pick only one from this list it's definitely The Count of Monte Cristo...it starts off action packed and doesn't let up. I also love The Portrait of Dorian Gray, Gulliver's Travels, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, The Once and Future King, Dracula, The Phantom of the Opera, The Iliad, and A Midsummer Night's Dream (all are great reading).

Edit: Since you have to write a bio about the author, I suggest you pick a work by Shakespeare or Twain. You will probably be able to find more information about these authors than any of the others on your list.

I would recommend picking one of these:

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austen

Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

Dracula - Bram Stoker

These are all very good books (ones I have read anyway). I don't know how good of a reader you are, but I read Dracula in the 4th grade, then agian I'm a pretty good reader. And Phantom of the Opera is amazing by the way (book and musical). I couldn't stop reading Frankenstein...I could go on for a while... look up what each books about first to see which one interests you the most.

I enjoyed Pride and Prejudice a lot. It's a great love story, one of the best out there, actually! I actually watched the movie starring Keira Knightley before I read the book, so I understood the book better and I could visualize the scenes. It might be confusing to understand at times, but if you love reading romance, then I would definitely check out any Jane Austen or the Bronte sisters' books (Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights). I haven't read those two, but I know they are similar to Pride and Prejudice, but they're written in a gothic manner, not humorous and light, like Jane Austen's books.

~Good luck and happy reading! :) ~

Pride & Prejudice is my favourite book, so Id definatly pick that one. It is amazing because it shows how people really react to pride and first impressions. The love story is great too, and I really like the old English society back then.

A Midsummer Nights Dream is certainly easier, I did that one in class, and it is a cool story, with 3 different plots, and it wont take you long to read. P&P took me about a month, sadly, MSND took bout a week.

Uncle Toms Cabin is one of those really educating racist slavery books, kind of deep and heavy.

The King Art and Knights would be pretty awesome, but I still recomend P&P. :)

• laugh

I've read the following:

Little Women

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Loved them all but would go with the first. Have heard of some others. Out of all that I've heard of and read combined, I'd say:

The Phantom of the Opera

A Midsummer Night's Dream (<3 Shakespeare)

Farenheit 451!!!!!!!!!!!!! (GOTTA love this one)

Source(s): Hope it helps!!!!

I have read every one of these books except Treasure Island, so I cannot speak to that one. BUT, you ask for one that doesn't start out slow, so I would recommend:

Alice's Adventures

Merchant of Venice

Adventures of Tom Sawyer

However, I LOVE The Great Gatsby- and it's something you should def read sometime. It does get really good as you read on through it.

Source(s): I have an advanced degree in English :)
  • Min02

Jane Eyre! I don't typically enjoy reading the classics, but I really enjoyed that one. It's a very interesting story.

pride and prejudice...

jane eyre

little women

the picture of dorian gray

silas marner

robinson crusoe

these are my faves

JANE EYRE!!! It is a lot similar to the authoress' biography as well.

WUTHERING HEIGHTS!!!