Hiring a professional to replace Garage Door Springs. Need pulleys and rollers too?

I'm got a quote and recommendations for replacing my garage door springs (The left one is broken, but I'm also having the right one done too). The technician said that my rollers, and pulleys were worn out, and recommended that I change them too. His prices:

A) Replacing only the 2 springs - $278

B) Replacing the 2 springs, all the pulleys, 10 rollers, and all the cables - $500

Are these reasonable quotes?

Is B commonly just a scam and he's trying to sell me more?

Both options come wiht a 5-year warrantee

This guy was from Precision Door.

And my wife just told me that the rollers and the pulleys were all new, because she notice that they weren't there when we first looked at the house. We bought the house in June.

The door slides uninhibited up (other than the tremendous force of gravity) and down, so the pulleys and rollers seem fine.

Favorite Answer

SCAM SCAM SCAM!!! was this quoter possibly from precision door??? it's a national chain know for ripping people off. look it up on the net for yourself. i've been in the business for over 19 yrs now and i'm still amazed at what they get away with.

assuming you door is a single wide (8' 10' wide) springs typically run up to $20 each. there are exceptions of course, however your door would have to be something really special. pullies cost about $4 each. rollers cost $3 each. if he is trying to replace all of your rollers, send him away, i'll sometimes find 2 or 3 bad rollers on a door but even that many is uncommon. labor should run maybe $100. all together, all that work should be under $200 in most cases. precision service techs are on a commision basis and need to average around $400-$500 per call. as a basis of comparison, a complete new door can be installed for around $600.

CALL ANOTHER DOOR COMPANY

many companies don't want to come out for service quotes simply because there isn't alot of profit in it to begin with, but if you can describe the problem on the phone and provide the height and width of the door, they should gladly give you an estimate over the phone.

Source(s): 19 yrs doing doors honestly and with integrity

Ok for all the experts on here you need to go back to school. Garage door springs are always expensive to replace. A new spring alone costs $80 bucks. So that $160 for two plus labor. That's a spring for a cheap un insulated door. Springs for heavier doors cost more. A garage door service company can accurately set the tension of the springs so the door goes up smoothly and straight. If you buy a door at a home center they come with self install kits. These are not the same as the springs you are talking about. So the springs cant be done by you. That price is quite reasonably. Now onto the rest I wouldn't doubt that when the spring broke your door twisted and bent some rollers. This one is up to you. I'm not there to look at it so if the door still goes up and down with out it binding they you are ok. If it sticks half way up you have a problem that needs to be fixed. If you did bend a roller the track has to be taken apart so that is why that one is so expensive. You are more paying for the labor to do it than the parts. Rollers aren't that hard to put on. However if you don't know what you are doing it may take you longer to put them in. So take a look at your door for bent rollers. If the door still goes up and down get the springs only and be done with it. That is a very fair price for two new springs to be instaled.

• Bill F

$278. is a lot of dollars for just two springs, but he is coming out to do it, so you will have to pay for that kind of service. As far as the rest goes, if the door was moving smoothly with little or no squeaking and the cables are not crimped or frayed, then I would forego that part. If you are at all handy you can take the broken spring to Lowes or Home Depot and they can match it for you. It is a good idea to replace the two at the same time. Don't take the non- broken one down until you have replaced the broken one, that way you can follow how it is done. If they don't have a cable running through them and securely attached at both ends, you should run one. It will keep a broken spring from flinging across your garage and doing damage to your car or worse.

Looks like a scam to me. Are the pulleys worn really deeply (the wire would dig a groove into them? Are the rollers rusty and falling apart?

No, because nobody's ever is? It's a scam. You can actually purchase those springs by yourself, and replace them for a HELLUVA lot cheaper than $278!! Like $12 a spring. Google how to do it. If you need 2 springs, you DON'T have one of those "Tear the side of your head off" torsion spring jobbies, you just have a simple spring & pulley setup. I've done it several times, it's usually about 20 minutes of work.

Do it yourself, even if you've never done anything like it before. The most tools you'll probably need is a pair of pliers. Google will tell you everything you need to know, and you'll save a ton of money. And you won't rip off yourself, unlike this 'professional' you seem to have found.

• frozen

If a spring broke its a good idea to have both of them replaced which you are doing. As for the rest, the cables would be the next to go. I would follow the technician's advice. The cost of a service trip to replace something else is the majority of the total. While he is there, he might as well install all the new parts. Ask him about any warranty that applies to his material and workmanship.

• Amy

make sure the door is open as far as it can go . the lift the hooked end out of the wire do the same at the bottom same thing at other door, just make sure the new springs are in the exact same places as the ones you removed. remember keep the door wide open when doing this and always have a buddythere to help you or to call the EMT. a friend of ours gums maloney did it by him self one night after drinking just to get the wife off his back and the door came down and as he was trying to get the other side in place the spring moved off the catch on top of the door .gums woke up abou 5 minutes later and the paramedis handed him a baggie with six of his front teeth in it. his mouth was swollen for a month and being the way he is had the teeth made into a necklace and wears it every day

Tell him you can only afford to replace the springs.

Ask him to show you the wear on the pulleys, so you can see for yourself how bad it is.

If it looks _really_ bad, that is, weakened to the point that it might break, he may be reluctant to do the job, or at least to warranty the work. GD springs can be killers if they or their mountings let go at just the wrong moment, like when you're standing right next to them.

Why not try Diy? My son who is a senior in High School, 18 yrs old. Replaced the whole opener system and springs by himself. All it cost me was the system and springs. And of course room and board.