DeWalt power drill which to buy?

Buying a power drill for husbands b-day. Know I want a DeWalt but not sure which is best for him. Is there a big difference between 12 Volt and 9.5? It will get moderate use and the difference in price is $50? My choices are DeWalt® Heavy Duty 3/8in 9.6V Cordless Drill/Driver Kit and DeWalt 12-Volt Variable Speed Cordless Drill/Driver Kit. Which should I get?

Favorite Answer

9.6volts is basically useless. A 12 volt will do for moderate use on the weekends. If he plans on doing any major projects around the house, get an 18 volt.

All 3 are excellent ones. No drill will last if they are not properly taken care of. I use DeWalt myself. My decking gun is now over 25 years old. I have many battery powered devices and the battery is the weak point in any tool. That is why I still keep my AC powered tools for heavy duty work. If buying battery powered tools, buy the 18 volts and the one with the highest amperage rating. This will translate into extra torque. Also check out how much replacement batteries are. Some cost as much as buying a new tool. Check out This Old House, you will notice that Master Carpenters Norm and Tommy always have different brands of battery powered tools but the ones that plug in last for ever. Their advantage is the tool companies give then the tools if they just use it on the air. Herb

• Mike

For occasional use I'd probably go with the 9.6 - the 12v will be heavier which will tire him out quicker and it will take up more room when it's in storage. There will be very few cases where the additional torque that the 12v offers would make a big difference. If he's going to start some big project maybe the higher torque and longer battery life of the 12v would be worth it. I'm using a Bosch 24V these days and I very often wish I had a smaller one like the 14.4 that died just before I bought the 24.

• Adam S

I've always liked the look of the DeWalt drills, but review after review shows them to be unreliable and poorly made. In a similar price range, I would recommend looking at the 12V Makitas with the black NiMH batteries (not orange NiCD). They are ugly (IMHO) but I haven't had one fail on me. My personal choice would be to spend a little more and buy a Milwaukee.

the 12v is really as small as you should get. The lesser ones just don't have enough juice and are usually made with thinner plastic (weaker) to make them lightweight. I am happy with my 12v Makita. It's light and pretty strong. Make sure there's 2 batteries in whichever kit you get so that you can charge on while he uses the other.

Whichever one you get, get the XRP, the battery packs last much longer. Other than that it depends on what you want to use it for. I'd say the 14.4 would be the best all-around drill, and the batteries are substantially cheaper than the 18v.

• jeff c

look at the lithium ion Battery they hold a charge when stored for along time i have 12 volt its small and light weight has a good amount of power

Source(s): hvac