Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

If you had a gay grown child who wanted to marry the person they loved would you?

Would you tell them they don't have the same civil liberties that you have? The definition of marriage was man made, not God made. God loves all his children, gay, or straight. The "sanctity" of marriage between a man and woman is nothing more than discrimination. Love is love, whether it's between a man and woman, man and man, or woman and woman. Gay parents have shown their children are better adjusted than than children of heterosexual couples. They're more inclined to be raised by 2 parents, not one because of all the divorce in this country and they're raised to be open minded and to live and let live. That's what I would want if I had children. The "sanctity" of marriage as you would call it, is nothing but B.S. There are more children being raised in this country by a single parent than 2 parents, so your argument is mute. The old testament states homosexuality is an abomination, but the new testament brought us Christ and a loving, caring God. Perhaps all of you need to read the bible again. Prop 8 was not about marriage. It was about discrimination. If you think anything else, you've been fooled and need to take off your blindfold. People who are comfortable with themselves and their marriage should feel no threat at all.

Shirley: If a parent can be that way with their own child, they don't deserve to be parents. I feel very sorry for you and your children.

To Sp and all those who feel that way: No parent thinks their child will be gay. 1 in 100 are born that way. You may want to re-think your logic. You may be surprised one day.

Warrior: The gay friends I have who are couples put their money together. Wat belongs to one, belongs to the other. Both take financial responsibility.

No different than in a marriage where both partners work. They are on each others bank accounts, house deeds, loans, credit cards and anything else that involves finances.

• KitKat
    Favorite Answer

Gay Grown????

Anyways. You are correct. It's horrible that an entire group of people are being given less rights than others just because it's not something one single religion, condones. I am OUTRAGED that gay and lesbian marriages are even questioned! If I had a gay child, I would be happy. But I would be extremely upset when I have to tell them that because of Christians, they are treated as second class citizens, and are at risk of being killed by those religious people solely for being who they are, and that they are not allowed the same rights as straight people.

It's disgusting and embarrassing that the US is like that. I'm feeling really embarrassed for living in such a hateful place, to deny rights to a select group of people.

Kinda reminds me of what Hitler did with the Jews. Singled out for being what they were born.

Marriage has NOTHING TO DO WITH RELIGION. Therefore gay marriage should never have been banned in the first place. Marriage is a legal contract with the government. If you go to sign your marriage license and do not get married in a church, you are still legally married. If you only have a ceremony in a church and never sign the marriage license, then you are not legally married. Therefore marriage has NOTHING to do with religion.

Although I agree with you that if two adults who are in love with each other want to marry then they should be allowed to do so.

However, whether or not the State of California recognizes marriages between people of the same gender was put to a vote and the voters chose "no". All that can be done now is live with the consequences of that choice.

If you want to change things, then try to get that ban overturned next election.

Part of this issue is financial responsibility, too. Who assumes the male or dominant role and thus the burden of financial responsibility; and these are questions asked by bankers whenever things such as co-ownership of property arises.

During my 27 years of serving residential and commercial customers, I have been privileged to serve numerous gay as well as so called straight couples. I will not judge them or their lifestyles that is God's right. As for me and mine, we are heterosexual and pleased to be that way. But I do agree that for many of my Gay customer's benefit, it would be helpful for the government to provide them with some kind of legally binding document to make them financially responsible for each other like a straight couple.

• I do not believe in gay marriage. I do, however, believe that homosexuals should be allowed to enter into a union that will allow them all of the benefits of marriage, but should not be allowed to enter into marriage under God.

Also... I've read the Bible several times. Jesus coming along did not change the fact that God sees homosexuality as an abomination.

• peachy

I feel so sorry for the 20,000 or so couples who can no longer call themselves married in California, as well as the same-sex couples all around the country (except in Conn. and Mass.) that do not have the right to get married. It's so sad! I predict that by the time I am 60 years old .... that's nearly 40 years away.... it will be legal to marry your partner in every state!

Yes I do and Yes I would. And this "God" you talk about is the reason narrow minded people are against it. You will find it is the same people that want to control abortion. I do not live my life according to some fictional fables.

As I read these responses, it amazes me the amount of ignorance out there. YOu don't RASIE them to be gay or heterosexual. What morons.

i think we should have a proposition against adultery.

sounds like some folks here would disown their children. or at least they say they would. maybe if confronted with this actual circumstance their spouse or their heart would talk them out of such intransigence. then again, their ignorance might be beyond curing.

then someone said his kids will not be gay. lol. just because we have a black president-elect doesn't mean there are not still ignorant people in america.

The prejudice against gays and lesbians is terrible. Now, if we really wanted to defend marriage, we would do something about the 56% heterosexual divorce rate.

EDIT FOR SHIRLEE: I hope you are sterile. No real Mother would ever say what you just said.

Yeah, thumbs down changes reality. LMAO And don't waste your time commenting on my post...I don't read them...and you have already been relegated to the Biz Bag, so you don't show up on my screen anyway.

Here's why Prop 8 was passed, people don't like to be forced to accept something. They were so close to having it legalized by the people but then they MADE us accept it. Which as a fellow American you know, you don't take too kindly to being made to do something. So then the people decided to show the government who's boss and passed it.

I personally don't care who you marry however don't take away one of the greatest things I have as an American (voting) just because you think it's a good idea.

I think their gay granfather that will be living with my fiance and our future children would kick my butt if I made a fuss. Even my conservative aunt said that while she would be upset to find out her daughter was gay, she loves her and she doesn't understand how anyone could disown a member of their family for something so silly.

I want my future children to be happy with who they are. You don't choose who you love, and I want them to feel the same love I do that I have felt and to have the same right my future hubby and I are lucky enough to have. I did not choose to be straight, so I would not be silly enough to try change their mind since it isn't a decision in the first place!

Source(s): Proud Massachusetts resident disappointed with the California Prop 8 outcome