Dj' s
Lv 5
Dj' s asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Recipe and advice please!! On Chicken tikka massala....?

Hi i absolutely love chicken Tikka massala and i have been trying to recreate the dish at home with little success, so can anyone please give me advise and maybe a recipe that i can follow. Also how to cook perfect Basmati rice without being all stodgy, which i have been doing lately.

PS.. I love Indian food and any hints tips etc in regards to making 'any' Indian food will be gratefully received.

TY : )

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

For the chicken

8 boneless chicken thighs, skin removed

1 lemon, juice only

1/2 tsp red chilli powder

For the marination

1.5 tsp Cumin seeds

4 large garlic cloves

4 cm root ginger

1 red onion

150ml low-fat natural yogurt

1/2 tsp Garam masala

1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped

For the sauce

2 tsp tomato puree

125ml single cream, or Greek yogurt

3 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped

3 cm root ginger, grated

1/2 tsp Sugar

1 tbsp lemon juice

100g Butter

Method

1. For marinating the chicken, make 2 slashes across each chicken thigh with a sharp knife. This helps the marinating ingredients seep into the meat. Place the thighs, in a single layer, in a ceramic dish

2. Mix the lemon juice and chilli powder and spoon over the chicken, coating well on both sides. Leave on one side for 20 minutes.

3. Heat a small heavy-based pan or griddle over a moderate heat and toast the cumin seeds, stirring all the time, until they give off a lovely nutty aroma - this doesn't take long - about 30 seconds.

4. Tip the cumin seeds into a mortar and pound with a pestle until they are ground to a powder. Don't worry if it isn't too fine.

5. Roughly chop the garlic cloves, ginger and onion and grind in a food processor until smooth - you might need to add a spoon of yogurt to help it on its way.

6. Stir in the remaining yogurt, garam masala, coriander and half of the ground cumin. Reserve the remainder for the sauce. Season with salt.

7. Pour this yogurt marinade over the chicken thighs. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight in a refrigerator. If you can, turn the chicken once while it's marinating.

8. The next day, preheat a grill to its hottest setting with the grill-pan in place.

9. Take the chicken out of its marinade and arrange the pieces on the preheated grill pan. Grill near the top of the grill for 3-5 minutes on each side - until tender and beginning to char around the edges. Remove from the grill, save any cooking juices, and keep warm while you make the sauce.

10. For the sauce, whisk the tomato puree with enough hot water to make up the volume to 200ml. Stir in the cream or Greek yogurt, coriander, ginger, sugar lemon juice and reserved cumin.

11. Melt the butter in a frying pan and pour in the sauce. Bring to a simmer, stirring, and when hot, add the cooked chicken pieces and accumulated juices. Season to taste, reheat and serve with a stack of naans or freshly boiled rice.

Perfect basmati rice -

Ingredients

For perfect rice, it's best to avoid the 'easy-cook' basmati rice as it doesn't contain the starch that gives the lovely fluffy texture, flavour and pure white colour when cooked. However, if that's all you can get it's not necessary to rinse it in water before cooking.

450g/1lb basmati rice

600ml/1 pint water

salt

Method

1. To make sure you get lovely fluffy rice, wash it in several changes of cold water, then leave to soak for about 30 minutes in fresh cold water.

2. Drain the rice and put into a medium saucepan. Add the water and salt, bring to the boil and cover with a tight-fitting lid. If the lid isn't very tight, cover the pan with aluminium foil before putting the lid on top. Turn the heat to low and leave to cook for 10 minutes before turning off the heat. Don't lift off the lid; just leave the rice to continue cooking in the pan for about 5 minutes until you're ready to serve. The rice should have absorbed all the water and will just need fluffing up with a fork.

• If you're English - pop along to Asda.

I bought some spices very cheap under the brand "RaJah" including a Tikka Massala one.

Having always been disappointed in my home curries, using the instructions, I have produced some that I would have paid a lot of money for from my favourite takeaway.

Marinade in powder, fry onion, garlic, add meat or fish, add cream, job done.

I have still to perfect a Saag Ponir, though with time, I'm sure I'll out do many restaurants.

Basmati rice - Do exactly as it says on the packet, and time it to the minute (usually about 12 minutes).

• 1 decade ago

Chicken Tikka Masala

1 cup yogurt

1 tablespoon lemon juice

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger

4 teaspoons salt, or to taste

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces

4 long skewers

1 tablespoon butter

1 clove garlic, minced

1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped

2 teaspoons ground cumin

2 teaspoons paprika

3 teaspoons salt, or to taste

1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

1 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

In a large bowl, combine yogurt, lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, black pepper, ginger, and 4 teaspoons salt. Stir in chicken, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Preheat a grill for high heat.

Lightly oil the grill grate. Thread chicken onto skewers, and discard marinade. Grill until juices run clear, about 5 minutes on each side.

Melt butter in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Saute garlic and jalapeno for 1 minute. Season with 2 teaspoons cumin, paprika, and 3 teaspoons salt. Stir in tomato sauce and cream. Simmer on low heat until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes. Add grilled chicken, and simmer for 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter, and garnish with fresh cilantro.

------------------------

Indian Style Basmati Rice

1 1/2 cups basmati rice

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 (2 inch) piece cinnamon stick

2 pods green cardamom

2 whole cloves

1 tablespoon cumin seed

1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

2 1/2 cups water

1 small onion, thinly sliced

Place rice into a bowl with enough water to cover. Set aside to soak for 20 minutes.

Heat the oil in a large pot or saucepan over medium heat. Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, and cumin seed. Cook and stir for about a minute, then add the onion to the pot. Saute the onion until a rich golden brown, about 10 minutes. Drain the water from the rice, and stir into the pot. Cook and stir the rice for a few minutes, until lightly toasted. Add salt and water to the pot, and bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all of the water has been absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork before serving.

-------------------------------

• gast
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

in case you desire it precisely like the takeaway/eating place, bypass to google and seek Curry Barking Mad. believe me that's the actual deal. i became attempting to make eating place curry for years and after looking that web site, it got here out completely. Theres a video showing you rooster tikka masala and much extra.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

www.facebook.com/britishfoodie

this page more about Indian Food

• 1 decade ago

I LOVE TIKKA MASSALA!!!!!!!!

Source(s): MMMMMMMMMMMM..........
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.