Should Obama push for gay marriage to be legalized nationally?

"Not all states are intended to have equal beliefs"

wow what a pathetic statement.

This is not about what he can or will do but what you think he should do.

I know he opposes gay marriage.

Favorite Answer

Probably not.

It should be left up to the individual states, but he should repeal DOMA. If a couple is legally married in one state, they are married, and should be able to visit their partner in a hospital wherever they are.

Personally, I think the government should simply get out of the marriage business. All unions should be civil unions, and the term marriage should be left to the churches. The legal contract and recognition of co-habitation is the part the government should recognize for legal and tax purposes. The sacred marriage is up to the churches.

Gay marriage should be legal as far as everyone should legally have the right to choose actions that will send them to hell. However, the reason gay marriages should not be legal would be that they would want to be able to adopt children. It would be ethically wrong for one child to be adopted to a gay family while other children were adopted to normal parents.

I personally would of sued the government if I got stuck with a gay couple for parents as it does not give me equal opportunities. The difficulty in school would be ridiculous.

• CB

Yes. I think that the right to marry is a fundamental basic right. So it should not be dictated at the state level and it should not even be up for question. Any two adults should be able to marry and that should be protected by Federal law. Remember it wasn't that long ago that some states wouldn't allow interracial marriage. If that hadn't changed then Obama wouldn't be here right now.

The Obama/Biden ticket does not support gay marriage.

If you wanted gay marriage to be legalized, you should have checked into that prior to the election.

• kpk02

Heck no. Such things should definitely be up to individual state governments. The US was never intended to have a federal government that rules the entire country. State governments are intended to handle running their own states on day to day issues. We need to get back to giving power back to the states. The federal government grew too large and inefficient and it continues to get worse. Not all states are intended to have equal beliefs. That's one of the benefits of this country, so let's not further take away from it.

Under law we should all be treated as equal. And not "separate but equal" We have to find a new term for the rights given as marriage and apply that to all people.

Yes Obama should FIGHT for the rights of all People in the US

That racist Muslim doesn't care about gay people. He's probably more homophobic than he is racist and sexist. He only pretends to care about the LGBT community just for the extra votes. Well, I'm gay and I voted for McCain. Sure, McCain is not very fond of gays either, but there are much more other things to like about him than Osama. Regardless of who is elected, gay marriage will never be nationally legalized. I lost all faith and hope after last night.....when this disgraceful country elected a terrorist.

One of the only things I agree with him. No Gay marriages.

Obama has stated he is against same sex marriage. Why would he push something he is against?

j

No it should be left up to the States.

Source(s): People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -George Orwell.