PAKU
PAKU asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 1 decade ago

居たい how its pronounced ?

the nanori for 居 would be iru. right?

so is 居たい pronounced itai or naritai?

when i hear japanese i dont hear ....ni itai. i hear ..... ni naritai

from the rules of japanese itai makes perfect sense, just like imasu

can someone help me

so if the kanji (居 / to be) is never pronounced nari, then why do they say " .....ni naritai" when they want to be ........

た い being the auxiliarie added to a verb making it want.

so whats the original verb in naritai?

how would you say i want to be happy?

嬉 し い に い た い ??

anyway thanks for answering

• GD173
    Favorite Answer

The character 居 is most commonly read as "i" (い)or "kyo"(きょ). It does mean "to be" but not in the sense of "I want to be <something/someone>".

More precisely when 居 is written as 居る (most commonly read as both "iru" (いる)but also in some cases read as "oru"(おる)) it means "to be" in the sense of "to exist" or "to be present" and is usually used for people and animals not object.

Now, if you want, you can use the kanji 居 when writing いる. It's not incorrect. It's just not very common. But, if you do decide to use it then you have to be a little careful because いる has many different meanings each of which use a different kanji. 居る, 射る, 要る, 入る, 鋳る are just a few of those verbs that are read as いる. So, you have to make sure you don't get them mixed up.

When Japanese people want to express the idea "I want to be <something/someone/some state (condition)>", they use the tai-form of the verb "naru" which is "naritai". Usually, the "to be" in this case means "to become <something>", "to obtain/reach <a certain state/condition> or "to achieve <something>".

For nouns, the basic pattern is:

<noun> + ni + naritai.

So, for example, "I want to be a soccer player" would be "sakka senshu ni naritai"(サッカー選手になりたい). "I want to be rich" would be "kanemochi ni naritai"( 金持ちになりたい).

For na-adjectives the basic pattern is:

<na-adjective>(drop the na) + ni + naritai

So, if you want to say something like "I want to be happy" then you could say "Shiawase ni naritai"(幸せになりたい). "I want to be good (at something)" would be "jouzu ni naritai"(上手になりたい). "I want to be famous" would be "yuumei ni naritai" (有名になりたい).

You can also use this pattern with i-adjectives as well. The basic structure is:

i-adjective (drop the final i) + ku + naritai.

So, "tanoshii" (楽しい)becomes "tanoshiku naritai"(楽しくなりたい); "Yoi"(良い) becomes "yoku naritai"(良くなりたい); "Warui"(悪い) becomes "warukunaritai"(悪くなりたい); "ureshii" (うれしい)becomes "ureshiku naritai"(うれしくなりたい).

*BTW, "ureshii ni naritai" is not gramatically correct.

Finally, back to "I want to be happy". I think the most common way to say this is "shiawase ni naritai". The expression "ureshiku naritai" is grammatically correct but I don't think this is something that most Japanese people would use.

Hope that helps

Source(s): Me

Shiawase Ni Naritai

居たい is pronounced "itai". 居 is never pronounced "nari" except in rare cases when it's used in a person's name. (I'm a native Japanese speaker, but I had to look "nanori" up in the dictionary. This is a word that's rarely used in this sense.)

BTW, itai as a verb is usually written in hiragana (いたい), rather than in kanji (居たい).

*Edit*

The original verb in naritai is "naru" (to become).

I want to be happy is 幸せになりたい (shiawaseni naritai). You could say 幸せでいたい (shiawase de itai), but this is more like "I want to stay happy" "I want to be always happy".

Japanese don't use the kanji for "to be" they just write いる so the -tai conjugation is いたい. or Itai, which shouldn't be confused with 痛い "ouch"

When Japanese people want to be something, like, "I wanna be a doctor" it's "isha ni naritai" because it's "I wanna become a doctor." to be is to be animate. So, they use become instead :)

I learned the hard way on that, I was embarassed when I said it to my husband and he gave me a weird look but never corrected me. So, I wrote it in an essay for Japanese III and my teacher looked at me like.."you never learned that?"

I want to be happy.... ureshii ni naritai. :)

Source(s): Took Japanese in college Married to Japanese

It seems you have been learning Japanese unofficially.

What do you mean NANORI????

There is no such word in Japanese grammartical expression.

In addition, 居 means Kyo itself as one word and is not said Iru.

If you want to say iru, Japanese use just Hiragana いる what means on staying or sitting or seating condition or having place there.  居る for いる is uncommon for modern Japanese at all.

Secondary, as same as いる, いたい(Itai) is popular now rather than 居たい in Japanese now.

Naritai(なりたい or 成りたい/為りたい) is totally different from Itai.

Naru(なる or 成る or 為る) and iru(いる or 居る) are also different, too.

Naru means become to be and iru means just being something.

For example, watashi wa isha ni naritai means I want to become(to

be) doctor. Watashi wa heya ni itai means I want to (be) stay(ing) my room.

Imasu is just polite expression about Iru.

Itai is a variation of iru as desire or wish to be(want to be).

Perfect sence has nothing to do with anything about it.

Again, 居たい is pronounced I-tai, NOT naritai at all.

In addition, I want to be happy must be turned to I want to become happy for translation.

私は楽しい状態に為りたい is direct translation but in Japanese,

It shall be changed to 私は楽しくなりたい or 楽しくしたい.

Study with official guidance or text book would be much more helpful.