Is Alaskan Malamute Hunting legal ?

I was watching a video of Sarah Palin hunting and killing Alaskan Malamutes (Please forgive me if spelling is wrong) i was just wondering how legal it is .

ps

this has nothing to do with politics.

Favorite Answer

I have never heard of "Malamute" hunting, but I would assume it is illegal, as an Alaskan Malamute is in fact a breed of domesticated dog, used mainly for sledding.

You may have mistaken this with Alaskan Caribou (vocally sounds similar), but otherwise, Ive never heard of this before... I know shes an avid hunter of Caribou and Moose, which is legal providing you have a licence to do so. She also hunts wolves amongest others as pest control, although I do not believe that it is necessary personally... the populations are at a good level now. The video could have mistaken wolves for Malamutes...

As an Alaskan Hunter, There is no such thing as a Malamute Hunt. That video was probably a re-title of the the predator control project most alaskans support.

Sort of hard to do anything in winter if wolves are eating people's pets and whatnot. Killed 14+ dogs last year and chased several people. Its necessary.

Source(s): 22 Year and Running Alaskan 8 Year Alaskan Hunter

It is not legal to hunt Alaskan Malamutes, since they are a breed of domesticated dog (and therefor property of whoever owns the dog). As for the video, if it showed "Sarah Palin" killing Malamutes, it was a fake. It may have been a video of her shooting wolves -- and wolf hunting is still legal in Alaska.

Perhaps you should ahve provided a link to the video in question, so that someone could determine whether it is real -- or not.

I am pretty sure you are confused about what Ms. Palin was hunting. She does not hunt domestic dogs. Wolves maybe but not dogs. You had better go back and recheck that video, if it shows her shooting domestic dogs, I'd check to see if it isn't some concocted film rather than an actual film of her hunting dogs. Many interesting and misleading things can be done with videos today by even amatures.

I believe you have the malamute confused with a wolf and I dont know about other states but here in minnesota its definately illegal to hunt wolves........

Source(s): avid hunter for over 20 years
  • Corvo

I'm pretty sure that would have been wolf hunting, which (I believe) is legal in Alaska, to keep the population in control. I would bet money that somebody who is against hunting re-labeled it to draw attention.