Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

Are you demoralized that McCain is projected to win all of the states that used to be confederate?

Does any one else out there feel sad by the fact that all of the states in the south appear to be going to McCain. Does anyone else feel like race played a much bigger factor in this election that anyone is willing to admit out loud? Maybe people haven't progressed with race relations as much as we have hoped. Regardless of who wins the Presidency, does the breakdown of who voted for whom discourage anyone?

Favorite Answer

It doesn't surprise me at all.

The Confederate flag can be seen all over the south.

That war has been over a LONG time but some people still can't get over it.

For people who think Barack Obama is a terrorist or anti-American remember the Confederate states were charged with sedition and treason. So that flag represents treason against the US.

So who's anti-American now?

It's just sad.

• Ben H

Of course it's played a huge role. Have you heard all those repub rallys where people shout "kill him" and talk about how he's an arab and a terrorist? What about all the swastikas spray painted on his signs in the south and the guy that was selling curious george shirts with Obama's name on it. What about the guy that was recorded by cbs with a monkey doll and an Obama hat on his head?

People are IDIOTS and it makes me ashamed to be a part of this human race when it's still coming down to this. It's 2008 and we're still stuck on the nuts and bolts that people have been fighting for many many years.

Of course race played a much larger role in some folks' voting choice. And of course many of them lied about it. I firmly believe we have a long way to go in this country regarding race relations - and I'm a white man.

There's still way, way too much racism, whether we're talking about black folks, Native American folks, Latino folks - way too much!

Race has nothing to do with it. McCain has served in the Military. He's willing to die for his country.

Why are people turning this into a race thing? I'm white, voted for McCain, but BOTH my husband and I have african american relatives.