Chris W asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

The Movie Exorcist is a true Master Peace?

I think this is the best horror film made, it is some what different to other horror films. I just think its a shame some people don't take it seriously, because they have seen so many slasher flicks. It has affected me and people see it as dumb and don't understand the true meaning to this mind changing, thrilling movie.

It is one film that has gone down in cinema history, one that should never be forgotten. The thing is I can go through any horror film, including saw 3 which I saw at the theatres and just Laugh my head off through the hole film.

But yet when I watch Exorcist that is a totally different story, its not some clown who jumps out, its a film which can give you high emotional levels and effect you psychologically.

No dumb answers ok, oh its rubbish funny haha.

Possible older people to answer this. Thanx

• Gemini
    Favorite Answer

Yes, i can remember going to see it in the 70s when it was first released, it hit the UK like wildfire, everyone was talking about it, i've got to say there wasn't anything like it,we'd certainly not seen anything like it and we were quite scared, i've known grown men have nightmares for weeks after seeing it, and i've seen people leave the cinema because they were too scared to watch it all the way through,but every time you shut your eyes, you just kept hearing that voice!!!!!

The Exorcist is and always will be a true masterpiece. It is one of the best, if not the best horror movie one can watch. It isn't about gore, its about complete horror and scares many people. These new movies focus on gore now, like Saw and Hostel, but The Excorcist is a horror movie with a high reputation. These newer movies can't compare with this great classic film. And this is a movie that should be left alone, and no remakes should be made of it either. Definitely a masterpiece!

Source(s): cryptofgore.com - horror source

I tried to watch this film when it first came out, left after a short while have never been able to watch it. I think it was the subject that totally wrong for a young girl to make! I have seen many old horror movies and modern day ones but I will never watch Exorcist. Is this what so many people find good about it that so many people cannot watch it, I think the film is sick. (not the people who watch, them I cannot understand)

I totally agree. At the time this movie came out, there was so much hype and hysteria that has not been seen in any movie since. I think its a shame that people don't get the core message this movie has. They don't see the ultimate battle of good vs. evil and how an innocent became both hostage and casualty through no consequence of her own.

I have even watched this movie three times in a row. The first time was just to see it again, the second was with director commentary and the third was without the commentary, finding little things I missed before. I even read the book.

I agree with you when you state that The Exorcist is a true masterpiece and the younger generation does not appreciate what this film has done, it has took horror to a new level and it did not dwell on blood & gore but on the psyche.

I was 8 yrs old when i first saw The Exorcist and i still blame my mother to this day for taking me to see it,it still haunts my mind when ever i even hear the theme song (Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells).

I actually watched the Exorcist for the first time on Saturday night, and I really liked it.. I had heard others say that it was one of the scariest movies ever, so I decided it was time for me to check it out. It was different from other horror films.. It is more of a psychological thriller.

I think so. However, it may have lost some of its effect since so many films have come since and because several of the scary moments have become a part of pop culture. When I saw the movie in re-release in London, the audience laughed at a number of scenes.

If you want another good scary film, try "The Changeling", with George C. Scott (not the Clint Eastwood movie currently in theatres).

I do like this film, but the problem I had when watching was, I had seen Repossessed before the exorcist, so when i watched the exorcist, I kept laughing due to scenes from the spoof coming to mind.

Although this is a good film I feel it is highly over-rated and very slow.

• G.D

The Exorcist is my favourite horror movie of all time.Ok it hasn't got all the special effects that movies have nowadays,but the suspense and tension in it is brilliant.

Here's a clip of a cast re-union from the 1980's.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=pZUSMyLEEio&feature=...

• PAUL C

yes it is a great film i agree but i also like the omen films and out of the modern films i thought rob zombies version of halloween and the mist was quite good but you are right the exorcist was something different