Why are some people so infatuated with guns?

Don't get me wrong. I know that the Second Amendment gives us the right to bear arms, and I don't think that right should be taken away. However, I still can't help but wonder why some people are so in love with their guns. I've never had one myself, because I've never felt the need to use one. Do most people who are enamored with guns have them, because they wish to use them to kill animals, or is it because they feel that other people pose a constant threat to them?

Favorite Answer

I own guns because Thomas Jefferson left this message for American citizens:

“The Strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep an bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government” –TJ

I have no infatuation with my weapons I have an infatuation with MY freedom and as Alexandre Dumas said:

"An unarmed man is incapable of functioning as a free citizen; his property, his body, his very life are at the command of others, since there is no risk inherent in committing depredations upon him."

Its not about the boogyman at my door and I don't kill defenseless animals, I own guns because 85 million American gun owners can still enforce this dictum from the Declaration of Independence:

"That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Some people collect stamps, whereas some other collect guns! It's basically the same thing in the minds of some people. The difference is that a gun was manufactured to take a life and unfortunately in the hands of the wrong human (let's say a really bad tempered redneck - and this example is purely random) they can take a life away. Moreover self-defense is not always an excuse. None should carry guns because the line between the victim and the offender is not so clear. The more guns you give to people the more people will want guns for their "protection". Do not forget nuclear weapons were made for self defense but were not used for that reason.

It has nothing to do with "the need to use one."

Why do some people play golf or tennis, neither of which is necessary?

Golfers spent thousands on their sport and nobody says a word.

Shooting of various kinds is included in the Olympics and the biathlon is one of the most difficult sports there is for the control it requires.

I was at the trap and skeet club yesterday and there was a woman with her teen-age kids enjoying a round of skeet. No animals died. They certainly didn't seem threatened by menacing terrorists all around and were having a great time.

People from several Embassies shoot at the club and it's a lovely place run by the County Parks and Recreation Department.

Large numbers of Americans now live in cities and have been raised far from America's traditional roots in an agrarian culture in which firearms were and still are a simple fact of life.

They associate guns only with urban crime and don't understand that that is abnormal for most of America.

In most places, you can leave your shotgun in your gun rack in your truck and nobody thinks twice about it. Some places, you wouldn't even have to lock your truck.

You can carry a gun and people don't freak out when they see it.

Why should they?

Nobody shoots each other like they do in the cites where there's gun control.

Explain how that makes sense?

I think our attitude is a lot healthier.

It's not about being "in love with guns" but it sure is about having first class fits when anyone talks about threatening the Second Amendment Right to have them as we always have.

Especially when it always seems to come from urban folks who don't understand a tradition that goes back hundreds of years.

For the same reason why I'm "in love" with my wife and my children. To protect them and myself from the "new and improved" Democratic party now headlined by Redistributor Elect, Barack HUSSEIN Obama (as pronounced by his good friend and spiritual advisor, the good reverend, Jeremiah Wright).

Never thought I'd be saying that. It's a cold, dark day for the people who actually pay taxes in this country.

That would be power and because power w/out responsibility attracts (usually men) w. deeply ingrained inadequacies.

You have to wonder who was closer to correct, the people who drafted the constitution w/out reference to guns or those who wrote the amendments, not to mention the interpretation of both are too questionable to bet your family's lives on in a country teeming w. nutters.

For the same reason some people are infatuated with baseball, hockey, fishing, or race cars - it's a fun hobby. My dad is really into guns - he goes to a gun range every week. He enjoys improving his aim, and he also likes going hunting. He also keeps them to protect himself and my mom if they are ever burglarized.

that's a complicated element. We individuals love the mythology of the early years of the rustic--the Revolution against the British, settling the frontier, contained in the Wild West. while many people carried weapons for secure practices, looking, conflict. there enhance into no military or police to maintain the peace in particularly some circumstances & places, and particularly a number of my countrymen associate being armed & preserving your self & your loved ones with freedom & independence. yet you will locate in many circumstances the main ardent gun-fans are contained in the West the place that mythology nevertheless has actual ability, and contained in the South, the place there remains a reservoir of Civil conflict resentments approximately federal squaddies from the North from that factor & government from the North now dictating how they should stay. those people who stay on the coasts & in massive cities in many circumstances sense the less weapons the extra advantageous. basically cops & criminals have them, and we don't probable ought to seek our nutrition or shoot snakes contained in the back backyard & we are no longer as paranoid appropriate to the government as some people. i've got constantly concept that part of the situation enhance into that the U. S. is this manner of extensive united states of america, and there are a number of very distinctive cultures, even between backyard style white persons. And the NRA works hard to maintain that mythology and that paranoia alive and nicely, and has super impact over the Congress, on the grounds that any Congressperson who is going against the NRA is categorised a liberal, a socialist, susceptible on crime, or maybe un-American that's a digital death sentence for politicians in this teetering-on-being-very-precise-wing us of a. do no longer enable Obama's election fool you, individuals are extra conservative constantly, and Obama isn't probable even pursuing as contemporary an schedule as he campaigned on.....

they're like security blankets to some folks

in my uncle's case, he's a gun collector, it's just an interest in the mechanism, not fear or for meat

it's a hold off from colonial times before police or supermarkets were invented.

I think you'd have to have mental issues if you treat something specifically created to kill as if it were a toy, and use it for "fun".

The same reason people are infatuated with porn, drugs, alcohol, and other things.

We all have different likes, tastes, etc.

Some people are infatuated with gross stuff, but call it art.

Who are we to judge?

Source(s): Not one to judge! (usually) BTW: you are STILL my favorite feminist socialist orange fruit!!!