Mia asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 decade ago

A good medical journal?

I am medical student, and are asked to read journals so that they can be a reference to my work.

I want to subscribe to a medical journal but don't know where to start from.

Does anybody have any ideas of any good medical journals out there?

Thanks

• Az R
    Favorite Answer

JAMA is considered one of the most impressive general medical journals, followed closely by the New England Journal of Medicine. NEJM's review process isn't quite as rigid, and they occasionally let some bad stuff slip in. Not a lot, just every once in a while something

I've always liked the Annals of Internal Medicine, just because the quality of science they publish is consistently excellent.

Oh. And if you're at a major university, most of them pay for subscriptions to services like Elsevier and Blackwell Synergy, and you can pull everything in these journals off the internet for free, as the university has payed for access to all staff and students. You may have to use software like a VPN that connects your computer to the university network and makes it look like it's an internal computer - most of these services check to see where your computer is before granting you access, or use a system like ATHENS.

The best to start with if you aren't interested in a particular specialty are Journal of the American Medical Association and New England Journal of Medicine.

If you are an AMA member, you should be getting a subscription to JAMA with membership...being a member is only like 75 dollars for all 4 years of med school.

If you are interested in a particular specialty, then I would read up on the journal published by their national academy.

Source(s): I am a medical student.

JAMA is probably the standard for medicine journals. Journal of the American Medical Association.

New England Journal of Medicine is another frequently cited journal.

I agree with the answers above that you ought to be long to the AMA and get your free JAMA, but think NEJM is what I'd subscribe to or read as a first choice. You'll see more cutting edge stuff, and the case studies are great both for learning and discussion.

I recently had surgery for breast cancer and the surgeon asked if I would agree to have before and after surgery photos taken. When the time came the medical photographer arranged a special screen so that only my chest was in view, but I did also sign a form agreeing to the photography and giving publication rights, if necessary.