I have an old TV, new shows get cut off, what gives?

Our 10+ year old 27" TV works just fine, so we don't have plans on buying a new TV any time soon. But I've been noticing that new episodes, like SNL and the Office, are in widescreen format, but I don't see black bars on the top and bottom of my TV. Instead, the far left and right parts of the image are off... show more Our 10+ year old 27" TV works just fine, so we don't have plans on buying a new TV any time soon. But I've been noticing that new episodes, like SNL and the Office, are in widescreen format, but I don't see black bars on the top and bottom of my TV. Instead, the far left and right parts of the image are off screen.

For example, during SNL's Weekend Update, they often show graphics in the top corner of the screen. These graphics are usually only 1/2 visible on my TV. Or when opening credits are shown, only 1/2 a person's name is visible. It's somewhat annoying.

Any idea whether this can be fixed...or am I stuck until I buy a new, widescreen TV? Thanks!
1 answer 1