Religious Values increasing or decreasing?

Describe some religious values in American society that contribute to social control. Also are these on the increase or decrease and why?

Favorite Answer

Decreasing, thankfully, but not fast enough.

I can think of not a single "religious value" that contributes to social control. Many deluded theists convince themselves that it is only due to "religious values" that people know that murder is wrong, but they are the only ones stupid enough to believe that.

The ones that we've gotten rid of so far include; legalized religious discrimination, misogyny, slavery, legal racial discrimination, etc.

Still left to go; sodomy laws, people who believe that homosexual marriage should be made illegal, people who believe that they should refuse their children medical treatment because god wants it, people who indoctrinate their children that anyone their child knows who doesn't accept Jesus as god is going to experience an eternity of torture, and so on.

EDIT: Einstein, I can read as much cynicism and contempt into your Washington quote as I can belief on his part that there is any "truth" in religion. GW never took communion, never made a public proclamation of faith (nor any private one that has been discovered) and passed away with his family around him without receiving or making any deathbed statements of belief. Maybe at the time he felt the nation wasn't ready to discard the crutch of religion, but that doesn't at all mean that he believed it could never be discarded.

Neither and both!!

For a start morals and values have nothing to do with religion!!

Research shows that the reason humans struggle with emotion to find equitable solutions is pinpointed the region of the brain called the insular cortex, or insula, which is also the seat of emotional reactions.

The fact that the brain has such a robust response to unfairness shows that sensing unfairness is a basic evolved capacity.

The emotional response to unfairness pushes people from extreme inequity and drives them to be fair. This observation shows our basic impulse to be fair isn't a complicated thing that we learn.

It therefore fully illustrates that all humans have morals controlled by the brain and that Christians are entirely wrong to try and claim morals as their own!!!!

But on the other side just look at all the claims about a candidate being the antichrist and all that piffle!! It is fully illustrating that the loving god has been abandoned for the glory of terrible and destructive human emotions!!

Source(s): California Institute of Technology
  • g

Well I'm Born Again,so I will focus on that:

In so many countries,through missionaries and churches built daily, tens of thousands of people are asking Jesus to be their Savior. Thank God!

But people are being deceieved also.

Matthew 24:4

Jesus answered: "Watch out that no one deceives you

.

Matthew 24:3-5

For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ, ' and will deceive many.

Matthew 24:11

and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people.

so God warns us for them because :

2 Timothy 4:3

For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

so we know the people dont care about God, only their own lusts and desires, but Jesus made it clear that will happen and get stronger until His return.

But the Truth is spreading and souls are being saved daily!

Decreasing, along with more lawless behavior, and as a result, America having to create more laws. I carry a legal knife (I live in Dallas), and a legal firearm.

I'd really like to know what is wrong with:

1. not having sex with a married woman/man

2. not stealing

3. being honest

4. respecting your parents

5. not sleeping around or not having a "live in boyfriend/girlfriend"

6. marriage, and marriage being between a man and woman only.

that's just a short list of what society today says is "a person's point of view".

On the surface religion is increasing, but foundational values are decreasing. Are we a nation of christians? How come so much pornography, greed, premarital sex, sexual immorality, selfishness, remarriage after divorce which jesus said is adultery, fraud, dishonesty, abortions, value for surface things? You cant serve the master and the beast... it is one or the other.

There has never been a time when I have either seen or heard of a value in religion.

"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indespensible supports". - George Washington.

• neil s

"Religious value" is a contradiction in terms.

Well overall they're decreasing, thank Zeus.

• Karl P

"Fake" religions are on the rize for ushering in the Antichrist.