What is the best song that has history written in it?

I have a research paper due, where i have to find a song classic or contemporary that discusses history and times passed. For ex. "1985" by Bowling for soup, American pie by Don Mclean...the artists use events terms and people associated with a certain time period in history.

Best Answer

"The Legend of Bonnie and Clyde" - Merle Haggard (about the bank robbers/murderers)

"The Great Titanic" - Ernest V. Stoneman (about the Titanic's sinking)

"The Ballad of Ira Hayes" - Johnny Cash (about one of the Marines who raised the flag at Iwo Jima)

"P.T. 109" - Jimmy Dean (about John F. Kennedy's PT boat that sank during World War II)

"The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" - Gordon Lightfoot (about the sinking of a freighter in a storm on Lake Superior in 1975)

"Ohio" - Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (about a National Guard shooting at Kent State)

"I Don't Like Mondays" - Boomtown Rats (about Brenda Ann Spencer, who shot up a school playground in San Diego because she didn't like Mondays)

The entire "Blue and Grey" album by Poco (about the Civil War -- very historically accurate, too, as Rusty Young was a history major in college)

• dawn

Seven Spanish Angels- Ray Charles and Willie Nelson

19 Something- Mark Wills

Sweet Home Alabama (talks about Watergate and Neil Young's song Southern Man which was denouncing Lynyrd Skynrd and southern rock)

Where Were You When The World Stopped Turning- Alan Jackson (talks about 9/11)

Have You Forgotten?- Darryl Worley (9/11)

Black Velvet- Alannah Myles or Robin Lee (Elvis Presley)

I Wanna Be Loved Like That- Shenandoah (just talks about Natalie Wood and James Dean, classic actors)

Battle Of New Orleans- Johnny Horton (talks about the War of 1812)

I agree with Amber - the 8th of November is a stirring and moving song by Big & Rich

I am not always crazy about their music but this song is awsome and stirring it is about a battle in Viet Nam Nov 8 1965 , The wikipedia entry cites the intro by Kris Kristofferson about the history

The Battle Of New Orleans or Sink the Bismarck, both by Johnny Horton

Buffalo Soldier- Bob Marley (song about buffalo soldiers)

Candle in the Wind- Elton John (song about Marilyn Monroe)

Source(s): :)

Battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton

i do no longer think of so, that's in simple terms my opinion. i've got seen greater useful, greater significant lyrics, there is physically powerful purpose, its in simple terms, the way she positioned it made it sound a splash shallow. and that i don't have lots appreciate for song without actual gadgets. No actual drums, in simple terms trouble-free fake beats from the synthesizer. No guitar or bass, in simple terms melodies from the synthesizer. no longer something actual approximately it, all the song coming from that keyboard hooked as much as the computing gadget, i do in comparison to that. that's in simple terms my opinion, yet a minimum of I reported why.

Bloodhound Gang - A Lapdance Is So Much Better When The Stripper Is Crying

We Didn't Start The Fire-Billy Joel

ok.. here is a really bad one...

The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

Gordon Lightfoot...

Yuck!