Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 1 decade ago

Where is the best vacation road trip destination?

It can be near where you live or far away – but you have to be able to get there by car. So where’s the best place to go when you want to go get away from it all? And is the appeal in the journey or the destination?

• T-half
    Best Answer

I love driving up the California Coast Highway in the Spring, from Malibu to Carmel. The journey and the destination are wonderful especially if you take your time.

In the summer, driving the mountain roads near Jamestown and Angles Camp is just beautiful. This area is West of Yosemite and doesn't have the crowds like Yosemite. You can pan for gold or just kick back and enjoy the sounds of the forest. The appeal is the destination, the mountains. The journey to the mountains can be full of traffic.

The mountains are their own appeal, of course, but each place you stay has its own beauty. If you don't want to rough it for the whole trip, spend a night or two in Dillon and Silverton. There is a little hotel there in Silverton that was a stage stop. I haven't stayed there in about ten years, but it was quaint and pleasant. That area has the scenery and diversions of Breckenridge and Aspen, but not the same snob factor, so I like Summit County better. I could spend an entire summer in Colorado and not spend two nights in the same place, and still have a wonderfult variety of places left to visit the NEXT year!Walking in it barefoot is truly a wonderful experience. It feels like no other sand I've ever walked on. Clearwater has a couple of really cool tourist destinations. There is a ride on a Pirate ship, a super fast ride on a huge speed boat, para-sailing along the beaches, or metal detecting on some of the cleanest beaches in the world. Every bit of the beach is designed with the beach using public in mind. There are plenty of places to eat and sleep along the entire beach, and further along the coast there are some small beaches that have very small crowds. This is a place where you can truly relax and forget about doing anything more physical than lying down on a chaise lounge while soaking up some rays. If you feel like using some muscles, then you can comb the beaches for some beautiful sea shells and sand dollars. I would recommend Clearwater Beach to anyone as a great destination.

The beach is right there as well but this summer I never made it to that beach, I just did the walk and sat on the rocks and built cairns and contemplated the vastness and unending power of the ocean. It blows my mind that those waves are moving in and out 24/7 and have done so for thousands and thousands of years, constantly -- no matter what else is going on.

The drive from Palm Springs, California to San Diego is fantastic and gorgeous -- if you take the back roads. I don't remember the specific route we took but it took longer than the direct way but it was SO worth it -- perhaps a 3 hour drive or something close to that. The mountain roads wind and curve and the vista is incredible.

I also love South Dakota. It's one of the first places I went to on an extended road trip and everyone told me it was going to be boring. WRONG! We spent the entire day driving east to west all the way through South Dakota and the endless fields of crops and hills and beautiful surprises were wonderful.

And when you get to Montana -- immediately when you cross the border from Wyoming into Montana, it is totally obvious why Montana is called big sky country. All of a sudden, the sky becomes big!! I love the fact that out west, the states have what seem like really natural borders. Each state has a different feel geologically and you can easily tell when you are somewhere else.

Find the Maroon Bells and the Sangre De Cristos. Finally, least three days and two nights at the Sand Dunes near Alamosa. (I like the cabins at the KOA near the park entrance, but you can camp inside the park itself.) I love putting that part of the trip last, and watching the sun rise and sun set over the dunes is among the most peaceful experiences I've ever had. The mountains are their own appeal, of course, but each place you stay has its own beauty. If you don't want to rough it for the whole trip, spend a night or two in Dillon and Silverton. There is a little hotel there in Silverton that was a stage stop. I haven't stayed there in about ten years, but it was quaint and pleasant. That area has the scenery and diversions of Breckenridge and Aspen, but not the same snob factor, so I like Summit County better. I could spend an entire summer in Colorado and not spend two nights in the same place, and still have a wonderfult variety of places left to visit the NEXT year!Walking in it barefoot is truly a wonderful experience. It feels like no other sand I've ever walked on. Clearwater has a couple of really cool tourist destinations. There is a ride on a Pirate ship, a super fast ride on a huge speed boat, para-sailing along the beaches, or metal detecting on some of the cleanest beaches in the world. Every bit of the beach is designed with the beach using public in mind. There are plenty of places to eat and sleep along the entire beach, and further along the coast there are some small beaches that have very small crowds. This is a place where you can truly relax and forget about doing anything more physical than lying down on a chaise lounge while soaking up some rays. If you feel like using some muscles, then you can comb the beaches for some beautiful sea shells and sand dollars. I would recommend Clearwater Beach to anyone as a great destination.

I mean, an amazing trip I have done is from Houston, where I live, to Vancouver. It has the advantage of sending you through awesome territory so you have tons of fun places to stop and look at on the way, having numerous routes so on the way back you could find different things, and having a great end destination. Of course, this is a long trip. I would say road trip it to Colorado otherwise, which has a lot of the same advantages as driving to Vancouver, just much shorter a journey. The beach is right there as well but this summer I never made it to that beach, I just did the walk and sat on the rocks and built cairns and contemplated the vastness and unending power of the ocean. It blows my mind that those waves are moving in and out 24/7 and have done so for thousands and thousands of years, constantly -- no matter what else is going on.

It doesn't matter if you're on the interstates or off the beaten path in any of the states they run through, driving through the mountains (and hopefully stopping off to do a little camping to truly enjoy "nature's majesties" in full) is just best experience ever! There's always something new to see around every corner. They make the journey and the destination all equally worth it.

The Pacific Coast Hwy from California to Washington is pretty incredible. And not to mention the drive to Key West is a fun drive that also provides a very fun and beautiful destination. The drive through northern MN to Thunder Bay is pretty neat too.

The journey has to be part of the appeal for a road trip. If not, you are much

Ten Mile Lake, search for fossils in Florescent, and spend a few days in the Black Canyon area along the Gunnison River. Swing through Crested Butte while you are in that part of the state. Find the Maroon Bells and the Sangre De Cristos. Finally, least three days and two nights at the Sand Dunes near Alamosa. (I like the cabins at the KOA near the park entrance, but you can camp inside the park itself.) I love putting that part of the trip last, and watching the sun rise and sun set over the dunes is among the most peaceful experiences I've ever had. The mountains are their own appeal, of course, but each place you stay has its own beauty. If you don't want to rough it for the whole trip, spend a night or two in Dillon and Silverton. There is a little hotel there in Silverton that was a stage stop. I haven't stayed there in about ten years, but it was quaint and pleasant. That area has the scenery and diversions of Breckenridge and Aspen, but not the same snob factor, so I like Summit County better. I could spend an entire summer in Colorado and not spend two nights in the same place, and still have a wonderfult variety of places left to visit the NEXT year!

It has the advantage of sending you through awesome territory so you have tons of fun places to stop and look at on the way, having numerous routes so on the way back you could find different things, and having a great end destination. Of course, this is a long trip. I would say road trip it to Colorado otherwise, which has a lot of the same advantages as driving to Vancouver, just much shorter a journey. The beach is right there as well but this summer I never made it to that beach, I just did the walk and sat on the rocks and built cairns and contemplated the vastness and unending power of the ocean. It blows my mind that those waves are moving in and out 24/7 and have done so for thousands and thousands of years, constantly -- no matter what else is going on.

A road trip though the Colorado Rockies is always worth the trip. If you have time, camp out at Ten Mile Lake, search for fossils in Florescent, and spend a few days in the Black Canyon area along the Gunnison River. Swing through Crested Butte while you are in that part of the state. Find the Maroon Bells and the Sangre De Cristos. Finally, least three days and two nights at the Sand Dunes near Alamosa. (I like the cabins at the KOA near the park entrance, but you can camp inside the park itself.) I love putting that part of the trip last, and watching the sun rise and sun set over the dunes is among the most peaceful experiences I've ever had. The mountains are their own appeal, of course, but each place you stay has its own beauty. If you don't want to rough it for the whole trip, spend a night or two in Dillon and Silverton. There is a little hotel there in Silverton that was a stage stop. I haven't stayed there in about ten years, but it was quaint and pleasant. That area has the scenery and diversions of Breckenridge and Aspen, but not the same snob factor, so I like Summit County better. I could spend an entire summer in Colorado and not spend two nights in the same place, and still have a wonderfult variety of places left to visit the NEXT year!

I live, to Vancouver. It has the advantage of sending you through awesome territory so you have tons of fun places to stop and look at on the way, having numerous routes so on the way back you could find different things, and having a great end destination. Of course, this is a long trip. I would say road trip it to Colorado otherwise, which has a lot of the same advantages as driving to Vancouver, just much shorter a journey. The beach is right there as well but this summer I never made it to that beach, I just did the walk and sat on the rocks and built cairns and contemplated the vastness and unending power of the ocean. It blows my mind that those waves are moving in and out 24/7 and have done so for thousands and thousands of years, constantly -- no matter what else is going on.