Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited States · 1 decade ago

Is Ohio the only state with a sales tax?

I just ordered something online and under tax it directly stated that Ohio residents would only be the one's to receive a sales tax. Aren't there more states with sales tax?

Favorite Answer

no, lots of states have sales tax. States without sales tax are the ones that are not the norm. This site has a listing of all the states and their sales tax rates. http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales.html Hope this helps

As for why only Ohio would be taxed could be the law in Ohio dealing with sales where only residents of the state would be taxed because the company resides in Ohio. I live in CA so I do not know for sure what the deal with Ohio is.

• rtfm

Almost every state has a sales tax, but many of them don't collect taxes from online sales. Others have laws that say online sellers only need to collect sales tax if they have a physical store in that particular state. Maybe the place you were ordering from ships their items out of Ohio.

• Judy

Most states have a sales tax. Online sellers only charge sales tax to residents of the state where they are located, or have some kind of facility.

• ?

New York State charges 4% then the counties of the state add their percentages ranging from 2 to 5. So depending on where you shop in NY you could pay 6 to 9 %

Yes. Pennsylvania has a 6% sales tax. I think in New York, it's 8%.