employment law uk only?

my mate has been suspended for a racist remark what does emploment law in the uk say about this

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A racist remark can be one of many offences in both employment and criminal law in the UK.

In terms of employment, most employers will include racial harassment as one of the examples of gross misconduct within their disciplinary procedures. This means that it can result in dismissal even for a first offence.

If your mate is not in a trade union, I would suggest they get in touch with ACAS through their web site to get more pertinent advice.

Source(s): Trade Union Officer.
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Most organisations / companies will have something in their policies and procedures about this, and I imagine that it could easily count as "gross misconduct". The firm will have their own procedures to go through, there will probably be some form of investigation followed by disciplinary action or sacking if it is found to be true.

I find it hard to think of circumstances where any employment tribunal would rule against a company who fire an employee for making racist remarks, unless maybe he suffers from Tourette's syndrome!

I can't say exactly what the law says about such issues, however your mate would probably have signed a contract of employment, and in doing so he signed to abide by the terms and conditions of employment, and it is almost certain that his terms and conditions would have included something saying he should not behave like this, or he could face action of some kind. He has therefore broken his contract in a serious way and that is probably grounds enough to have him sacked.

Edit: Was about to say that he should speak to his union or ACAS about this, but credit to Jake, he has already mentioned this.

• 1 decade ago

www.acas.co.uk suspension must be on full pay and a representative investigates it within 2 weeks and then they must make a decision whether he remains in work or not - the other party should also be suspended until it is sorted out. An acas representative will be appointed if charged with it and going to court. He cannot be fired unless he is charged and found guilty.

• amento
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Employers would desire to check out versatile working hours whilst asked by employing new mums returning to artwork, yet can refuse as long as they are able to coach corporation motives for doing so (including insufficiency of artwork for the time of proposed working hours). A mum returning to artwork following maternity circulate away would desire to be waiting to return in an identical place as whilst she left, or if she took added maternity circulate away she would desire to be waiting to return in an equivalent place. This works the two techniques and it is not undemanding to assume an enterprise to create a place in simple terms to slot in with a returning mum's standards. The enterprise does no longer inevitably would desire to make your daughter redundant the two, as she became into no longer an equipment sales supervisor in uncomplicated terms on Sundays previously maternity circulate away. She would would desire to be slightly extra versatile. whilst an enterprise makes a redundancy that's the area they make redundant, no longer the guy, and there's a collection volume of time wherein they can not hire absolutely everyone else in a redundant place for (6 months i think of).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Andy W
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It would likely be classed as gross misconduct and would mean an immediate sacking.

• 1 decade ago

IT IS ILEGAL TO MAKE RACIST REMARKS HE COULD BE SACKED

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.