save vs. save as ? explain please.?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

Save will save 'as is' with same name,file format,location

save as gives you the option to change name and save in a different format,location.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Save overwrites a current copy, or performs an initial save of the file (if it has never been saved before...in this case, save and save as are the same, and save as is not available in many programs).

Save As creates a new copy of the file. So, if you have a word document that you saved as "mydocument.doc", and you made some changes to it but did not want to lose the original document, select "save as" and give the file a new name. At that point, you will have two documents: the pre-save "mydocument.doc", and the post save document with whatever new name you assigned.

• 1 decade ago

Save just saves the file under the current file name. Save as will also saves it, but allows you to change the name. This will creating a second file.

• 1 decade ago

Save just saves the file under the current name. Save as also saves it, but allows you to change the name, thus creating a second file.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Saving keeps your file or whatever you want to save the way you just updated it. For example, If I just made a slideshow and and I choose "save" the computer will keep the slideshow I just made.

Save as gives you the chance to save a file on a different program or in a different form. So if I wanted to save my slideshow as a .jpg (or picture), I could do that. Remember, this doesn't work for everything.

Hope this helps! Remember this is coming from a 7th grader so im not exactly an expert. :O)

Source(s): MY BRAIN
  • 1 decade ago

Generally save means "save over the original document". You only get the menus for saving it in this or that directory the first time or if you choose save as. You also choose save as to save something in a different format.

• 1 decade ago

Save simply saves the document, with its current name and type.

Save as allows you to save a copy under a different name, or as a different file type.

• 1 decade ago

Save as- use this when you are saving for the first time. You can name it and choose your save location.

Save- use this when you have already saved a document, but have just edited it. It will update your already saved file to the newly edited version.

• 1 decade ago

Save is just a quick way of saving to the same file you're working with. Save As you're telling the program you want to specify the name of the file yourself easy as that...You could just save as and use the same file you're working with it would do the same as "save"

• 1 decade ago

Save saves the document as the current title while save AS saves it with a different title that you can choose. (creating 2 documents)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.