Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What are computer "Bare Bone" kits?

They seem almost too cheap to be true. What's the catch? What are they missing?

Example:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTool...

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Bare bones kits are put together with the novice builder in mind. They generally include most of the hardware you'll need to build a computer and if you purchase a kit from a reputable company like Tiger, then the components should be guaranteed to work together. Depending on who you buy your kit from, it can either be pre-assembled or in pieces as the link you posted seems to suggest.

Bear in mind that this kit doesn't include an operating system or a cooling fan for the processor. You need an OS whether it be Windows or some flavor of Linux to actually use the machine once assembled, and you'll need a fan to help keep your processor in optimal tempurature ranges and to protect you warranty from Tiger. It also looks as if this kit doesn't include optical drives (CD, DVD) which you'll need to install your OS. That's not a huge problem, but you're looking at another $30-100 depending on the drive you decide to purchase. The OS can be free (Linux) or not (Windows, some Linux distros), so if you're looking for a Vista box tack on another $200-400 to that total unless you can get an OEM version from Tiger or from a school you attend (Vista Ultimate - the $400 "bells and whistles" retail version of Windows - costs only $34 through my college). You'll also need to pick up some speakers, a mouse, a keyboard, and a display to get this to work.

All in all, if you're willing to be your own technical support, are interested in building your first computer, and can get your hands on an OS, a fan, a display, some speakers, mouse/keyboard, and an optical drive for fairly cheap then this is an OK deal. Your actual price can change dramatically with the additional parts needed, anywhere from $350-700 more (or even higher) than the sticker price depending on what you buy and where you buy the components needed to complement this system. If you can find a machine that is comparable in specs from a well-known manufacturer and you don't want to build the machine yourself, then do yourself a favor and pass this deal up. A one year warranty from a big brand manufacturer (HP, Dell, Gateway, etc.) is helpful because any hardware problems can reported to them directly or to the store you buy it from, while a pieced together system like this one will have separate warranties for each component from various manufacturers.

Hope that I didn't confuse you too much.

Source(s): 8 years computer building experience, college education, multiple computer builds, multiple professional certifications
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The catch is that they may or may not have all the hardware (that kit does not have a processor cooling fan and cd drive) needed to finish the computer and maybe have no operating system.

They also come as, "some assembly required"

These kits are aimed for people who like to build a pc instead of buying a premade computer.

• Marvin
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

There is no catch - it just depends what type of PC you want.

The motherboard probably has onboard video, onboard, sound, onboard network card - so that saves some money on extra components - but the video card in particular will not be good enough to play recent games on.

It has no CD or DVD reader. It has no monitor or mouse or keyboard.

Oh - and it says there is no CPU fan on that advert - you will definitely need one of those.

Once you add a decent video card and all the other missing parts it will probably not save you as much as you thought.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There isn't really a catch, barebone systems are... the "bare" minimums of a computer. The one you linked is missing a video card, case fans, CD/DVD drives and a CPU cooling fan. These items are needed to actually make your computer be usable, but there are also additional items you could put on.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It is a kit that has all the parts of the computer. Not the screen. It for like fist time builders. They have all the parts in the kit so u can self assemble the computer it also has instructions to do so.

• 1 decade ago

theres no catch this one is missing a monitor and a graphics card and a cooler for the processor. with a barebone kit you get exactly what it lists and tigerdirect is a very nice site for stuff like that ive bought from them many times

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Exactly what you get depends on the dealer but you usually don't get much more than the motherboard, processor and memory.

The page you linked to also includes a case, psu and hard disk.

• 1 decade ago

i suggest building your own cpu. my bf and i build mine and his for online gaming and they will outrun any gaming cpu you can buy in a store. mine was built for $500 including the flat screen moniter. happy building:)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.