Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Weight loss, and healthy lifestyle question....?

Last night I finally made a pact with myself that I would become a healthier role model for my son. Which includes losing a load of weight. 100 Lbs to be exact. I need some advice on how to stay motivated, tricks to making the process a little faster, and how to get my son involved in my new healthy lifestyle as well. Any exercise and healthy tips are greatly appreciated.

Favorite Answer

Congrats on your decision! This is a bit of a long answer, but that's because I've been there and have a lot to share with you :)

This is right up my alley, since I lost about 100lbs and it took about 10 months. What you need to do is ignore the scale. The scale will never tell you how healthy you are, only how much you weigh on planet Earth.

What your goal should be is fitness. Start by writing this information down:

1. How long does it take you to go 1 mile (walk, jog, or run...whatever you can to get it done)?

2. How long can you run without becoming winded?

3. Pick a weight training exercise for each muscle group. How much can you lift for each exercise? Shoot for 8 reps, meaning that reps 6-8 should be difficult. If they're too easy, go up in weight.

4. Check out a simple yoga series, like the Sun Salutation: http://www.santosha.com/asanas/suryanamaskar.html How well can you do these poses? This tests your flexibility and stamina.

5. How many push-ups can you do? If you can't do one, do a proper knee push up and see how many you can do then. This is proper knee push-up: http://www.strength-training-woman.com/images/Knee... Too many people lay their legs down or just go on all fours and hope for the best. Those are wrong!

6. How many situps (NOT crunches) can you do in 30 seconds?

Once you write these down, you have a starting point, but you also have an outline. You know what you can do to better your run time, you know how to improve your strength, you know how to improve your flexibility, increase push ups, and increase sit ups: PRACTICE. That's all it takes. Stay committed to doing these exercises. If you need a regimented option, you can always email me and I'll tell you what I did. I remember starting out, I went 1.5 miles and it took me about 28 minutes. When I was done, I was able to run 3 miles in about 24 minutes!

Because you aren't focusing on weight, you keep yourself in the correct mindset: "be healthy, be fit." Weight alone cannot do this for you. The good thing is that you will see improvements in the first week, which is encouraging. Sometimes, that damn scale can be fickle. If you weigh yourself at a certain time, before or after the bathroom, before or after eating...or just because the stars align a certain way, you'll look like you've gained 5-10lbs when you really didn't. You can't fake fitness progress, and you can't shortcut, starve, or in any way unhealthily achieve these goals.

This brings me to your diet. You aren't dieting. You are changing your eating habits FOR GOOD. All this means is that you should focus on natural foods. What did our cavemen ancestors eat? Except for during the ice age, they ate grains, legumes, nuts/seeds, fruits, vegetables, and rarely they were able to find and kill an animal or steal some eggs. This means that your diet should be varied, natural, and not meat-heavy. There's nothing wrong with meat, but when you do eat it, go for free-range or wild caught. Not only does it taste better, but it's much better for you because wild animals aren't pumped with artificial crap. Did you know that farmed salmon are actually injected with color and that farmed tilapia subsist on a diet of actual feces? Pretty nasty, and cows, chickens, and pigs aren't any better.

You'll be eating 5-6 small meals a day to keep your metabolism running, and because you'll be exercising, you'll notice that you do get hungry every 2-3 hours (provided that you do not stuff yourself). Stop eating when you're full, and you're set.

As for getting your son involved, things like going for walks/jogs/runs and doing exercises are all things he can benefit from. Kids that help out in the kitchen are more likely to try a wider variety of foods, so ask him to watch Food Network or look through food magazines and tell you what he thinks would be tasty (if you use Food Network, the recipes are found at www.foodnetwork.com, which he can also just browse for meal ideas). Have him shop with you and instruct him to pick out one new fruit or veggie each time you go. This will add more variety to your diet and is just fun to do.

If you have any questions or hit any snags along the way, my inbox is always open. Good luck!!

1

Source(s): Burn 2 lbs fast with this... https://nimbleurl.com/?2mk9d

I have found Weight Watchers + exercise three times a week to be working exceptionally well. The Weight Watcher's program is a good, balanced plan for eating healthy and the meetings lay out and reinforce certain key points needed no just to lose weight but to change one's attitude toward food to a more healthy one. The meetings also provide a ready made group of people who have all experienced similar issues with food and really do understand.

Because I don't want to be a walking ad for WW, there are other alternatives online -- one is this free web resource -- www.sparkpeople.com where you can do everything from choose a "diet plan", record what you've eaten, track your goals, put in your weight loss weekly, participate in little competitions with other members, join groups by age, amount to lose, location, etc etc. . It's a great place.

Good luck -- you can do it!

Alley

That's so exciting!

I would say the best way to stay motivated is to keep your goal in mind all the time. You're going to have pitfalls and slip ups, but that's ok! Don't give up! Remember why you're doing this (for your son). That should be motivation enough. And think about how confident and great you'll feel once you've finished.

When you have a lot of weight to lose, your weight comes off faster. Diet and exercise is the healthiest way to do this. Limit your portions, and make sure you have the proper balance of protein, carbs, fruits and veggies. Start cooking at home, and use healthier variations to your favorite foods. Avoid fried, salty and sugary foods and drink LOTS of water. Water flushes out your toxins and gets keeps your body from holding on to excess sodium (which retains water).

FOr exercise, balancing cardio and weight training is the sure fire way to produce a slim, lean, body. I use pilates and jogging. But you can do anything! If you can't afford to go to a gym, briskly walking three times a week will be just fine for cardio. Increase your activities whether it be gardening, or just taking the stairs instead of the elevator.

Including your son will be easy. Inviting him to help you cook will definitely make him feel included.

Hope I helped! Good luck!

A great plan to follow is "Eating for your Blood Type." It has you cut out what is negative energy loss foods and tells you what is better options, as long as you know what blood type you are. There are recipes and exercise options in there too. It has been working for me. (you can find it online or at any book store)

Any movement is better than none. Taking the stairs, parking a little farther away at the store, etc.

Once you see some changes happening then that should be motivation enough.

Good luck to you!

Source(s): Experience

Losing weights is never an easy thing to do. Commitment is one of the key factors to losing weight. If you are serious about losing weight you need to stay serious. Realize that the weight will not come off right away(you did not gain it over night so it will not come off over night). Set yourself goals. Every 5 pounds reward yourself with something other than food, maybe some new clothes or a fun day out with your son. Eating right is the absolute biggest factor to losing weight. Now eating right does not mean you need to starve yourself, infact, that is the worst thing you can do!!! Try eating more organic foods because they are not processed and are healthier for your body. You also need to include exercise in your daily tasks. Start out small. You don't have to be a marathon runner. This lady, Rose Cole, helped me lose 40 pounds after I had been trying for years. I have kept it off for three years now and I feel amazing. She has some amazing articles and videos that would be extremely beneficial to helping you reach your goal!! She has videos on some great snack ideas, breathing ideas, and ways to remember to take your vitamins(which you should be taking every day, especially if you are trying to lose weight.) Good luck!!! Make sure to check out my source(that is rose cole's website with all the helpful videos and articles!!!!!)

Source(s): www.WellnessWithRose.com

It sounds as though you really want to lose weight permanently. Don't worry about speed...the faster you lose it, the faster it'll come back on again!

Have a look at the Slim Habit. It's got a Personal Exercise Plan plus a support program. I think it would be the right thing...have a look.

Source(s): www.slimhabit.com

3 healthy meals 2 healthy snacks

yoga may be relaxing but you can also get a good workout an hour of yoga can burn up to 350 calories

• Homer

Never skip evening workouts