Infectious Disease - Viruses are NOT FOREVER?

I've noticed alot of posts that say that once you have a virus you will have it forever. This is true of viruses like HIV, Herpes, and the chickenpox viruses, BUT NOT TRUE OF ALL VIRUSES. Think about it. The common cold, hepatitis A, and the flu are both caused by viruses. You get rid of those - they are not forever. If you get the flu again, it is a DIFFERENT STRAIN (new infection). Here is an explanation of the immune system and how it handles viruses.

You have two types of defense against viruses: humoral immunity and cellular immunity. The humoral immune system attacks viruses when they are loose in the body. The cellular immune system destroys viruses once they have taken up residence inside the body's cells.

The humoral response consists of antibodies made to specific viruses. These antibodies remain present in the circulation and secretions, hopefully eliminating the virus and protecting against future infections.

The cellular response consists of certain white blood cells, such as cytotoxic lymphocytes or natural killer cells, which attack and destroy our own cells that have been altered by viruses. By killing infected cells, the immune system kills the virus and cures you.

Some viruses, however can avoid detection by the immune system. Herpes and shingles hides out in the nerves - places where the white blood cells can't get to. HIV hides in the immune cells themselves.

HPV used to be considered one of those permanent viruses. It now appears that it can be removed from the body by white blood cells like influenza can. Most women can get rid of the virus on their own, although some people cannot- thus the need to be screened regularly. There is still a debate about whether you will have HPV "forever". More than likely you will not.

Favorite Answer

Gardenzebra,

Your last statement - "There is still a debate about whether you will have HPV "forever". More than likely you will not" - is misleading and based solely on a possibility. The human papillomavirus is a double-stranded DNA papillomavirus that encodes 10 viral proteins—two late gene products and eight early gene products. The late gene products consist of structural proteins for the viral capsid. The early gene products are proteins involved in viral replication and oncogenesis and are, thus, important in determining whether an HPV infection is active or latent. Proteins E6 and E7 from the high-risk HPV types, such as HPV 16 and 18, can bind to and inactivate the cellular tumor suppressor gene protein products p53 and pRb (ie, retinoblastoma protein), respectively, leading to malignant transformation. This transformation is a crucial process in the pathogenesis of cervical cancer. Recent studies suggest that the most commonly recommended precaution against STDs may not be completely effective in preventing the transmission of HPV. Skin-to-skin transmission of HPV is still possible, even with the use of condoms. Based on this recent research evidence, the CDC reported in 2004 that "available scientific evidence is not sufficient to recommend condoms as a primary prevention strategy for the prevention of genital HPV infection." Yet the CDC added, "There is evidence that indicates that the [consistent] use of condoms may reduce the risk of cervical cancer." This beneficial effect of condoms is related to the fact that condoms protect against other STDs, such as AIDS, chlamydia, and genital herpes—STDs that may depress the body's immune system, thereby increasing the risk of cervical cancer. Some researchers believe that an inherited genetic condition may prevent the body from attacking HPV as well as it should, leading to persistent infection. However, the nature of the genetic defect and its precise mode of inheritance remain unknown.

Currently, there is no HPV cure (natural or otherwise). However, treatment is available for the changes HPV (human papillomavirus) can cause to the cervix. There is also treatment for the genital warts that are caused by HPV. Whilst there is no cure for HPV, in most people, the infection goes away within a year. Since an HPV infection does not usually cause symptoms, most people are completely unaware that they have even been infected. There is an approved vaccine available to prevent infection. There is also HPV treatment for the changes that the virus can cause on the cervix, as well as treatment for genital warts. Many people search the Internet looking for a natural way of curing HPV. However, there isn't one. There has been limited research looking at some micronutrients and their impact on either preventing an HPV infection or speeding up the process of clearing the virus from the body. Studies testing the clinical efficacy of various HPV vaccinations are underway worldwide. As of mid-2007, only one vaccine, Gardasil (Merck & Co Inc, Whitehouse Station, NJ), had been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use against cervical cancer. Gardasil, which received approval in June 2006, is a quadrivalent, recombinant vaccine that targets the strains of HPV that are most often responsible for causing cervical cancer and genital warts—HPV types 6, 11, 16, and 18. Gardasil not only protects against high-risk HPV infection and cervical cancer, but against genital condyloma as well. Three doses of 0.5 mL of Gardasil are given to patients. The second and third inoculations are given 2 and then 6 months after the first.

ALL ANSWERS SHOULD BE THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED, IN ANY FORUM AND ESPECIALLY IN THIS ONE. - MANY ANSWERS ARE FLAWED.

The information provided here should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.

I add a link with some interesting details of HPV

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/

medicine/laureates/2008/adv.pdf

Hope this helps

matador 89

I got clinically diagnosed with genital herpes (type 2) about 5 years ago, when I was still attending college and had a stupid one-night stand. I know loads of young women say this, but I swear I had never done that sort of thing before. I just made a mistake that one time and all of a sudden it seemed like I was going to have to live with the consequences for the rest of my life. The hardest part was feeling I could never date other men again. In the end, who wants to go out with a girl who has sores around her "you know what" area? But since a friend shared this video https://tr.im/stWKl everything got better.

Not only was I able to eliminate all traces of the herpes simplex virus from my system in less than 21 days, but I was also able to start dating again. I even met the man of my dreams and I'm so blessed to write that just last week, in front of everyone in a crowded restaurant, he got down on one knee and proposed to me!! This method provided the opportunity to be happy and experience true love again. Now I want to help others by sharing this story.

aww @ answerdude :-) my husband will probably think of a fungal infection. i seem to get infected a lot :(