How do you get a rabbit to drink from a water bottle?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I got a rabbit over the weekend and is soooo sweet, but he won't drink from a water bottle. He had a water bowl at the pet store and when we saw he wasn't drinking we gave him a water ...show more
Best AnswerAsker's Choice
Rabbits can learn to drink from a regular small animal water bottle, it just seems to not be their favorite thing. The way to teach them has already been said, but to reiterate: Get the bunny's attention and tap the end of the mouth piece (the little ball) with your finger so that water runs out.

You might find it helpful to put the water bowl near the bottle. You could also rub the end of the water bottle with fruit/vegetable juice (juice a carrot or a grape or something). The bunny may be more interested in giving it a shot if the bottle tastes good. :-)

Source:

Personal experience

Asker's rating & comment

5 out of 5
Thanx all the answers were great, but I think this one had a little extra effort
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (8)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • coax_me_cajole_me answered 6 years ago
    Slice some rings of banana and shove them on the end of the spout. In chewing the banana off he'll get some water out, hopfully he'll get the message. Also try mixing a small ammount of juice in his water, rabbits loooove anything sweet, just a little bit will make him think hes getting a big treat.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Christie answered 6 years ago
    You put the water bowl right underneath of the water bottle and keep both full. Once or twice per day tap the water bottle to get his attention. After a few days of this, try taking the bowl away and see if he drinks from the bottle. If he doesn't repeat it again.

Source(s):

17+ years breeding rabbits
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Miss Awesomenessss <3 answered 6 years ago
    When i first got my rabbit, that's exactly what happened to me. As i got told, i don't think the rabbit knows how to drink from it. And I actually got worried that it might get dehydrated. What I did, i put him right in front of it, and start dobbing the ball thing in the water bottle. Keep doing that for a long time, and the rabbit will see how you can actually lick it and water will come out. Hope this helps!
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Nutty answered 6 years ago
    Normaly they dont drink when they are not used to there home but scince he is drinking from the bowl i asume that is not the case! at the end of the water bottle there is a ball keep taping on the ball intill water comes out onto your finger let the rabbit drink of your finger and then slowly guide him to the waterbottle tap again on the water botlle to show him that water comes out of it he should then get the hang of drinking water from a bottle!GOOD LUCK!
    hope i helped

Source(s):

i had a rabbit and he would not drink from a water bottle either!so i guess experience!
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • hasenbeneasy answered 6 years ago
    ask nicely !
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • ls1rks answered 6 years ago
    Hold his mouth to the bottle a few times and he'll learn pretty quickly. And they don't suck, they lick the ball in the spout and water dribbles out.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Tigger answered 6 years ago
    He has to get used to you & his new home. You need to get him to follow your finger around the hutch to the bottle. Once you can do that press the button on the bottom & let the water flow out he will soon get the message. It is a lot to learn when he's only just arrived. Good luck.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Southern Belle ☆ answered 6 years ago
    Rabbits use waterers that are basically a bottle with a spout at the end. They go to the spout and I assume suck on it to get water out. We have rabbits and ll of them have drank from these type bottles with the spout.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block