? asked in 社會與文化語言 · 1 decade ago

give me ur hand~20 granted

1.The boss will offer John a substantial promotion if he "will learn" to be more tactful during business meetings.

this is an exercise of multiple choices. I wonder why the answer "will learn" fit with the statement. I have the deep belief that it should have been replace with "learns," anyway.

you can see there are two "will" existing meanwhile in the cause statement and the effect one .

the following question is from Taipei Times of Oct 23 this year

plx note the quotation marks.

For its final visit to New York ---- the 710th ---- the venerable liner, which was sold last year for eventual use as a floating hotel in Dubia, was joined, from its American home port in Brooklyn, but the four-year-old Queen Mary 2, the latest flaship of the Cunard fleet and a throwback to a golden age of ocean travel before jets, "when," as the company slogan had it, getting there was half the fun.

I wonder why "when" is put here?

那在此的when 是指後面的那段 getting there was half the fun.嗎?

Rating
    Favorite Answer

1. will learn 放在那裏是"強調"如果 John 有意願要學的話, 老闆願意提供適當的升遷, 在這邊有點反諷, 嘲笑的意味, 意指 John 不太可能有意願學,

如果光用 learns, 只是說明了如果 John 學了, 老闆就升他職, 沒有反諷的意味

2. When 放在那個地方, 強調"在當時", 也就是飛機發明前的渡輪航海旅行的黃金年代, "在當時"渡輪公司的口號, 也可以反過來說渡輪公司的口號反應了當時的黃金年代

Hey, nobody is going to give you their hands for 20 pts............