If I have suicidal thoughts...?

If I have suicidal thoughts and I tell a counselor or therapist, what will they do? I'm 27, married, two kids (3 and 2mo), and my husband recently told me he's been cheating on me for 3 months and is leaving me. I've been having suicidal thoughts lately, and have even thought of ways I would do it. I don't... show more If I have suicidal thoughts and I tell a counselor or therapist, what will they do?

I'm 27, married, two kids (3 and 2mo), and my husband recently told me he's been cheating on me for 3 months and is leaving me. I've been having suicidal thoughts lately, and have even thought of ways I would do it. I don't think I'd actually have the guts to follow through with anything...but I've had thoughts.

My question is, if I tell a psychiatrist, what will he do? I know they have confidentiality laws that says they can't alert anyone unless I'm going to harm myself or others. And he's asked before if I have ever had suicidal thoughts and I said no. If I say yes, who would he tell? Would they take away my kids? Would they lock me up somewhere against my will? They're just thoughts, and I'd like to talk about it, but I'm scared of the consequences.