Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

Why Did Steve Nash Win the 2005 MVP?

I mean 2006 was w/o a doubt his and he was robbed in 07 because Dirk's team lost to an 8th seed and he had no business winning it. Despite, him being a great player and helping the Mavs win 67 games in 07.

But, Steven Nash in 2005 should not have won the MVP. Of corse, he had a great season MVP calibur like and transformed the Suns froma sucky team into a powerhouse. But, he had great players, like Amare, Barbosa, The Matrix, Joe Johnson, etc.

The real MVP should have been Ray Allen. A year removed from being a part of a championship calibur Milwaukee Bucks who made it to the ECF in 2001 losing to the 76ers in 7. He was traded to Seattle for Desmond Mason and Gary Payton.

Seattle was becoming trash and not a poewrhouse like they used to be. However, in his first full season as a Sonics he surprised everyone when the Sonics not only won the division. But, won the Pacific division with a 52-30 record against a Laker team w/ Kobe, Caron Butler, and Lamr Odom.

All Ray Allen had was Rashard Lewis who as an All-star talent. The Sonics even took out the talented Kings in the 1st round losing to the NBA Champs in the semis in the Spurs. Thats nothing to be ashamed about. Especially, after their center option was Jerome James and they did not have much talent.

PG. LUKE RIDNOUR - Young and inexperienced

SG. RAY ALLEN

SF. VLADAMIR RADMANOVIC - Alright

PF. RASHARD LEWIS

C. JEROME JAMES

6. Antonio Daniels - good, only one w/ championship exp. and playoff exp. besides Ray Allen.

7. Flip Murray - 1 dimensional scorer, inexperienced

8. Reggie Evans - Did nothing back then

9. Nik Collison - A rookie

10. Damien Wilkins - A rookie

11. Vitaly Potapenko - production was done by then

12. Danny Fortson - ughhh!

In 2005, Ray Allen averaged....

21.9 PPG. In 2007 he averaged 26, but Sonics sucked so should not have won MVP. 1,867 points scored, 3.7 APG, 4.4 RPG, .883 FT%, .428 FG%, 78/82 games played, .376 3pt%, 209 3pters made.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Quote: "Steven Nash in 2005 should not have won the MVP. Of corse, he had a great season MVP calibur like and transformed the Suns froma sucky team into a powerhouse. But, he had great players, like Amare, Barbosa, The Matrix, Joe Johnson, etc."

You said it yourself, Nash was the single most important acquisition that season... Yet they changed their fortunes almost overnight. I think Nash deserved the award that season and not the following. I think Kidd should have gotten the award on 2002 or 2003 because of the same accomplishments he did like Nash, But I think the win records messed with him and the NBA awarded it to Tim Duncan.

That is why I really loved the explanation they made in the 60's on why they awarded the MVPs to Bill Russell: "[other players] have more conventional skills but no player meant more to his team". And that is why Nash and Kidd in my opinion deserved at least one MVP award in their careers.

Hope this helps.

• shel
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

On 2005-06 season, Amare Stoudemire suffered a intense knee harm (that' s why Marion's stats took off), and Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson were traded away. The Suns were no longer predicted to repeat their efficient 2004-05 season, yet with Nash directing an identical intense-velocity offense, the team compiled a staggering fifty 4–28 list and gained the branch identify. The Suns were back the optimal-scoring team contained in the league with seven gamers averaging double figures in factors in accordance to pastime (because of Nash's assists and performs), and Nash become voted for the first time to commence for the 2006 Western All-huge call team. Having recorded occupation highs in factors (18.8), rebounds (4.2), field objective percentage (.512) and loose-throw percentage (a league-best .921), and best the league with 10.5 ASSISTS in accordance to pastime, Nash become named the league MVP for the second one 3 hundred and sixty 5 days in a row.

• MC™
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

because in 2005-2006 season there was no competition, Kobe's stats was off the chart, but his team sucked back then. On any other year I don't think Nash would have won it, but that year no one really challenged him.

In 2006-2007, Dirk's team won 67 games, and MVP was given to him, it was the right choice, since the MVP awards reflects the REGULAR season performances not the playoff.

Source(s): MC
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.