what was the influence of religion during the industrial revolution?

honors world studies speech. due this wednesday. i have basically what religions there were, but i'd like to know how religion influenced particular groups of people.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It was divided, and went off in all directions...

"The rich man in his castle,

The poor man at his gate,

He made them high or lowly, (or: ... made them, high or lowly)

And ordered their estate."

Is a verse of "All things Bright and Beautiful" (1848) that isn't often sung, nowadays.

Laissez-faire capitalism?

Paternal and even tyrannical expectations of religious attendance and compliance were expected by some industrialists.

Some were genuinely progressive and philanthropic. Others, as kings before them, saw religion as a tool of social control. (as Marx spotted)

Amongst the churches in the 1800's the non-conformists much more tended to be concerned and involved with the new industrial poor, while the established Church of England preached much about the immorality of the canal and later railway navvies, but did little to help their lot, religiously or on any more material level.

Another major factor was in international trade:

The soldier, the trader and the missionary.

Desmond Tutu: “When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said, 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land.”

From China to Africa and beyond, the missionary and the trading zeal went hand in hand, and technology empowered it: that had been happening since the Spanish in the New World, but that's almost the inverse of your brief.

• Nachel
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avBxY

I would start with the history of it. Show your knowledge of it. This is a debate, so having knowledge of the good things can prepare you to respond to anything your opponent throws at you. If you can agree that there are good things that came from it, but even bigger critical things are a byproduct from the revolution... you will cast it in bad light. The Industrial Revolution was a period from the 18th to the 19th century where major changes in agriculture, manufacturing, mining, and transport had a profound effect on the socioeconomic and cultural conditions in the United Kingdom. The changes subsequently spread throughout Europe, North America, and eventually the world. The onset of the Industrial Revolution marked a major turning point in human history; almost every aspect of daily life was eventually influenced in some way. Agree that good things came from it, but at a cost. Some where seen as it was happening, and some we are realizing just now. Go into some of the bad things that affected living conditions. I would focus on the natural environment... things like how London had toxic fog, that looked like pea soup. How we are now understanding the pit falls of our ingenuity. Burning coal, and petrol damages the air we breath, and the water we drink. Our actions, that are directly linked to the industrial advancements during the revolution, have damaged the Earth, and we now need to find different ways to go about living. That we are now at a critical point to save the Earth, or watch it get desroyed. That it can all be linked to the industrial revolution. I would also bring up the human labour issues that was a big problem. Might even want to mention how the word sabotage came to be French from saboter. Sabot is a french word for a wooden shoe. Story goes that during the industrial revolution, people were worked so hard, and without breaks, they would throw a wooden shoe in the cogs of the machine to stop production. I hope this has helped give you some direction. CyberNara

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what was the influence of religion during the industrial revolution?

honors world studies speech. due this wednesday. i have basically what religions there were, but i'd like to know how religion influenced particular groups of people.

Source(s): influence religion industrial revolution: https://shortly.im/wqjMR
  • 1 decade ago

Religion probably delayed the industrial revolution by 4 or 5 hundred years.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Protestantism of a Calvinist bent is a perfect institutional faith for industrial capitalism, because it considers the acquisition and deployment of large amounts of capital to be an outward demonstration of God's grace, and because it demands obedience and maximum effort from workers.

• 1 decade ago

Protestant work ethic, development of new technologies suited to be sold to religious groups e.g. steel string pianos, religious discord causing massive migrations, conversely importation of protestant Scotsmen to Catholic areas of Northern Ireland resulting in long term turmoil, exploitation of third world resources aided by the missionary movement, cheap lodging afforded by religious aid organizations such as the YMCA.

If you're an honors student that ought to keep you busy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

same as now....many choices....Catholic or Protestant take your pick....do your own work....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.