Does anyone support ideas from two different parties?

For example, I support most of Brian Moore's Socialist ideals. Especially when it comes to free trade, education, and corporations. However, I am not so sure about his beliefs when it comes to loosening punishments on crime and abolishing the death penalty. I believe just the opposite. I believe when it comes to rapists, serial killers, and domestic abusers, we should in fact, put them to death right away, and tighten laws on first offenders as well. So I am not sure what this would make me, anyone else have this dilemma?

Favorite Answer

I supported capital punishment for a long time, but the more I learned about it, the more I came to oppose it. In the end, several factors changed my mind:

1. By far the most compelling is this: Sometimes the legal system gets it wrong. In the last 30 years in the U.S., over 100 people have been released from death row because they were exonerated by DNA evidence. These are ALL people who were found guilty “beyond a reasonable doubt.” Unfortunately, DNA evidence is not available in most cases. So, as long as the death penalty is in place, you are pretty much GUARANTEED to occasionally execute an innocent person.

Really, that should be reason enough for most people to oppose it. If you need more, read on:

2. Because of higher pre-trial expenses, longer trials, jury sequestration, extra expenses associated with prosecuting & defending a DP case, and the appeals process (which is necessary - see reason #1), it costs taxpayers MUCH more to execute prisoners than to imprison them for life.

3. The deterrent effect is questionable at best. Violent crime rates are actually HIGHER in death penalty jurisdictions. This may seem counterintuitive, and there are many theories about why this is (Ted Bundy saw it as a challenge, so he chose Florida – the most active execution state at the time – to carry out his final murder spree). It is probably due, at least in part, to the high cost (see #2), which drains resources from police departments, drug treatment programs, education, and other government services that help prevent crime. Personally, I think it also has to do with the hypocrisy of taking a stand against murder…by killing people. The government fosters a culture of violence by saying, ‘do as I say, not as I do.’

4. There’s also an argument to be made that death is too good for the worst criminals. Let them wake up and go to bed every day of their lives in a prison cell, and think about the freedom they DON’T have, until they rot of old age. When Ted Bundy was finally arrested in 1978, he told the police officer, “I wish you had killed me.” Khalid Shaikh Mohammed (the architect of the 9/11 attacks) would love nothing better than to be put to death. In his words, "I have been looking to be a martyr [for a] long time."

5. Most governments are supposed to be secular, but for those who invoke Christian law in this debate, you can find arguments both for AND against the death penalty in the Bible. The New Testament (starring Jesus) is primarily ANTI-death penalty. For example, in the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus praises mercy (Matthew 5:7) and rejects “an eye for an eye” (Matthew 5:38-39). James 4:12 says that GOD is the only one who can take a life in the name of justice. In John 8:7, Jesus himself says, "let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

• wyble

Unfortunately, that's the way in which it's and has been because Millard Fillmore who was once a facet of the Whig occasion. Kind of unhappy given that the primary president, George Washington, was once now not a Republican (occasion did not exist but) or a Democrat. He was once an Independent. But the 2 events that have ruled ninety eight% of presidential elections because the first actual president had been both Democrat or Republican. This has trickled to all elections of so much each and every elected reliable going for walks in a partisan election. It is bigoted that different events get handed up, however the one method to insure a candidate goes to win is to vote for one belonging to a occasion that's dominate- Democrat or Republican. Some men and women waste their vote on a 3rd occasion candidate. But, make no mistake, this is a wasted vote. That has simply been the technique wherein our elections had been run on- one or the opposite of the 2 distinguished events. Personally, I believe they will have to dissolve each events by means of decree and permit lesser events to grow to be the dominate events. Maybe a much less identified occasion could have a greater danger of having whatever performed that could be well for the nation. Couldn't get a lot worse.

your too absolutist on your view of murder equaling death penalty

your got to base every case around the circumstances of the crime. also innocent people may be faulsly accused

I think there should be lesser penalties for certain things, like minor crimes such as burglary, etc. But as far as murder goes, I think the penalty as of right now is efficient.

I support free love, but I'm pro-death penalty like you. I love engaging in sexual congress and no one will ever change my beliefs. :-)

I believe in complete liberty which I guess these days is not as popular as it used to be. I can't hold my breath for a libertarian to be elected anytime soon.

I agree with McCain, lower taxes for the economy to grow. Let us keep more of our money to spend.

I agree with Obama. Race should not be the main reason why you are voting for whichever candidate.

I welcome good ideas no matter WHO came up with them.