Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Australian)Australian Rules · 1 decade ago

internatinal rules team 08?

do you think Australia's 08 International rules team was a B grade team. like where was buddy franklin Jonathon brown richo????

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

It's a matter of player interest.

Buddy and a lot of others are just coming of surgery.

The team can only be selected from those who want to play. A few had surgery, others whatever the reason, just didn't want to play.

If you go back a few years you had names like McLeod, Deledio, ROK, Gilbee, Hodge, B Harvey, Croad, Fletcher, Crawford, Hall, Judd, B Johnson, R Smith, Simpson, Hayes, Rob Murphy, Luke Power, Barry, Pavlich, Scarlett, Jakovich, Bickley, Kirk, Judd, Kerr, Wirrpunda and N Brown (Rich)

Compare that to this years uhh.. Roger Hayden? Matty Campbell, Matthew Boyd, Petrie. All good players, don't get me wrong, but in 10 years they won't be remembered like Power, Judd, Hodge, McLeod etc.

Where has the player interest gone?

• oehler
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

seem, i might say that the 08 Reedem group is greater proficient. And that's. There are new adult men like Wade, LeBron and CP3. There are gamers of their top like Kobe and Boozer. Chris Bosh and Deron are doing a impressive pastime too. besides the ninety two' Dream group replaced into greater united. Jordan and Pippen formed a great duo, which incorporate Barkley and Ewing on the forward and center positions. in the event that they play at the same time, i think of it would be a great sport. The expertise VS the commonplace. I recommend, it incredibly is distinctive eras. In 1992 the sport replaced into greater protection. greater sturdy. Now, the sport is greater interesting. it incredibly is greater flash performs and dunks. i might say...the ninety two' Dream group. They have been the unique dream group and we'd desire to continuously admit it. enable's wish LeBron and Wade and Melo can geared up a sparkling Dream group for the subsequent years. i'm helpful the united states of a will wreck down the others interior the 2012 London Olympics. they are youthful, yet they are getting united daily, in basic terms like the ninety two' Dream group did. So, it incredibly is in basic terms wait and the time will do it. helpful question. thank you! Eddie!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Where where the big names?

They couldn't be bothered playing a "stupid" game which has nothing to do with AFL at all. They would rather relax on holidays. Many others have surgury throughout the break.

They give positions to the younger players.

Do you really think that Buddy, Abblet, Brown, Richo would want to play in that game.

I don't.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I agree. I would have liked to see Ablett, Cooney, Franklin, Brown, Judd etc playing. Also, I reckon that Rhys Palmer would have been good.

But, I guess the AFL is experimenting with younger players, after the appalling behavior of Fevola and Co. in 2006

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The thing is. Do the current best AFL players have the ability to adapt to a game like the international game?

My answer is no.

I don't think buddy would fit into the game at all. His style is definetly more suited to AFL. Where as smaller players are suited to the internation setup.

• 1 decade ago

I was recently talking to a footscray legend about this very subject, he said he would never of played in today's era because of the short turn around from seasons end to pre season, the players book them selves in for operations, and just want to rest up for the next season, we both agreed that the Aussie team that next ours Ireland will be considerable stronger because of the 'trip away' factor.

His words were, some of those blokes struggle to get a game at their clubs, maybe they should play the series at the start of the year, at least blokes would be fit and wanting to play some footy.

• 1 decade ago

You need to select players that would be of the right style and have the right kind of talent (not meaning they have to be the best at afl) to play Gaelic football.

Some players (buddy, brown) may be great at AFL, but gaelic is a different sport where they may not give their team as many adavntages as they do on an afl field.

• 1 decade ago

i believe mick malthouse made a good choice because players like franklin, jonathon brown etc. wouldnt suite there style of game play and by the way some of the players like judd, franklin etc. were having surgery so they couldnt participate. The players i believe that shouldnt have been there are montagna, hunt

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well we could have a had a better team, but not many elite players volunteer to play the game. It was a young side, but they did very well considering they had to adapt to the different ball, and rules.

• 1 decade ago

totally agree

we picked all small players

foley, rodan, boomer to name a few

and like you said where were big guys like richo and jonathon brown?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.