Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

how do the canada geese migrate?

i need to know what they use to migrate...

landmarks?

moon?

etc.

thanks!!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Ivy W
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Actually, Canada Geese do not use magnetic cues or the sun. Most waterfowl, geese included, are considered Type I navigators-- they use landmarks to follow routes they learn from their parents/flock. They typically use the same routes year after year, that are passed on from generation to generation. Without their parents, Canada geese would not know how to migrate. Remember that movie Fly Away Home? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116329/

A girl finds orphaned Canade geese which think she is their mother. She eventually has to teach them to migrate by leading them in a glider plane.

This same strategy has been used to teach endangered whooping cranes new migratory routes.

Type II migrators use a "compass"-- the Earth's magnetic field, stellar constellations, and the sun. This includes most songbirds (ex. Red-winged blackbirds, warblers, finches, etc.). Migratory routes are typically innate for songbirds- they don't need parents to teach them the way. But these birds have to know where they are to find their way to and from their migrating grounds- if you move them in a box to, say, Europe from America, they won't know the way home. They have a compass, but no map.

Type III migrators seem to have an internal map-- you can take them anywhere in the world, even if they've never been there before, and they will find their way back home. These birds are rare, and include pigeons, swallows, swifts, and procellariiformes (albatross and petrels). They seem to use smell to help find their way home.

Source(s): WFB275- Wildlife Behavior
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

This is a problem brought on by the help of your friendly state game commission. Someone decided that importing the giant subspecies of Canada goose would be a boon for hunters. They dis so well that hunters could not keep up with the reproductive rate and the geese were exported to other states that thought that this was a good idea. The geese have since risen to pest status. Because of their large size and the amount of fat they carry (much more than other, migratory, subspecies) they are not bothered by the cold and can survive on available food during the winter. They often hang out on golf courses, making the greens so-o-o-o-o much fun for the golfers. As I recall, a flock of 100 geese can produce seven tons of manure per year. It all seems to be deposited on my lawn. No need to tell anyone; your game commission already knows that there is a problem.

• 1 decade ago

The journey of the Canada Goose, as shown by return records from birds banded at Hooper Bay, Alaska, has been traced southward across the Alaskan Peninsula and apparently across the Gulf of Alaska to the Queen Charlotte Islands. The birds then follow the coast line south to near the mouth of the Columbia River, where the route swings toward the interior for a short distance before continuing south by way of the Willamette River Valley. The winter quarters of this subspecies of Canada Goose are chiefly in the vicinity of Tule Lake, on the Oregon-California line, and in the Sacramento Valley of California, although a few push on to the San Joaquin Valley.

• 1 decade ago

Studies suggest birds orient themselves to magnetic north. And use not the sun but polarized light in evening and morning sky and even stars at night. In addition they use other clues such as visual layout of the land, smell and sounds of the sea or other clues. Much of it is apparently embedded in their brains at birth.

A flock of Canada geese small in number has been arriving at a small pond near me every fall to stay the winter. No others are around for miles. It is amazing that they can come back to this same small field year after year. I find it difficult to believe that birds from previous years are not playing some role in leading them to this field.

It would be an interesting test to see if young from these birds could make the trip alone.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    7 years ago

Deals/Discounts on canada goose from http://www.forcanadagoose.ru/ Best coat ever! So warm and fits true to size.

Attachment image
  • 1 decade ago

I would assume they go by landmarks.

• John R
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

They Fly.

• 6 years ago

i don t know they do tricks

• 1 decade ago

I've heard they use wings...:)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.