Sarah
Sarah asked in HealthDental · 1 decade ago

Root Canal on a dead tooth?

Ok so I had trauma to my tooth a few years ago and it left me with a broken front tooth. We had went to the dentist to get it fixed and looking like a tooth again. And recently went to the dentist to see if they could reshape it again cause the fake part of the tooth kinda chipped off. Well the dentist said my front tooth is dead and that she needed to do a root canal on that tooth and the tooth next to it in order to reshape my tooth.

My question is , why do a root canal on a dead tooth?

I've already had what they called a 'Gum Boil'. And that hurt like heck. But I havent had once since. I left it alone. My gum has been kinda bothering me for the past few days and I was just wondering what to do since the tooh was already dead .

But if she said my tooth was dead doesn't that mean the nerve is dead?

Favorite Answer

With the dead root in the tooth, the by products of the root could cause an infection as it will further decompose over time, and then discolor.....so this way, they are stabilizing it, making sure there is

no more dead tooth pulp in there and creating a stable situation to

build upon, and last you (hopefully) the rest of your life!

• blidge

Root Canal Dead Tooth

A dead tooth only has two options 1 pull it or 2 root canal build up and crown.

The reason is the nerve is still in the tooth and if not removed will rot. this is how the abscess starts. Root canal is youre last resot to try and save the tooth before pulling it.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Root Canal on a dead tooth?

Ok so I had trauma to my tooth a few years ago and it left me with a broken front tooth. We had went to the dentist to get it fixed and looking like a tooth again. And recently went to the dentist to see if they could reshape it again cause the fake part of the tooth kinda chipped off. Well the...

Source(s): root canal dead tooth: https://shortly.im/9pogo
  • Aleen

I have a couple of root canal jobs done, and it does not hurt. Your dentist have to explain to you what is the procedure and why is needed . Dear, all you are going to feel is the pinch of the needle, and the soreness when recovering. A root canal consists on taking out the nerve so you wont feel any more pain or discomfort, but it needs to be done by a specialist on root canals. Darling you are going to be okay, best wishes..

If the tooth is dead then a root canal is the only option other than removing it. They actually remove the nerves from the roots to stop the pain (hence canal) and the roots keep it in place.

Source(s): Have had 2 root canals

HERE'S WHAT'S HAPPENING...

this tooth hs a dead nerve in it and this has very bad effects in the body.

Anything dead in the body must be removed and there's ONLY 2 WAYS

1= EXTRACTION

2= ROOT CANAL AND CROWN

This happened to me too! I didnt get the rootcanal done $$$$ Ok so about 8 years later I woke up one morning with a HUGE upper lip!! The nerve in the tooth had rotted!!! It was dead so I had had no pain but the dead nerve rotted inside the tooth......bad decision not to get it out before the problem happened....The infection was very bad at this point and had gone into my sinuses and from there it could have gone on in to my brain!!! GET the recommended treatment NOW! not later like me. It is correct

Source(s): me

Even though the tooth is not actively alive there is still a nerve in it. It does need to be removed and replaced gutta percha which is artificial nerve. After this is done the tooth will be hollow inside so you will most likely need a post which is like a tiny screw, and a final restoration like a crown, veneer or if it can be done a bonding. If you just leave a Dead tooth alone it will turn a dark color which is the blood that runs trough the nerve drying up. I have worked in the dental fiels for over 15 years. Take my advice.

Hi Honey.. I think what their trying to do is save your tooth, so they don't have to pull it since it's right in-front.. I had a root canal done to a dead tooth in-back but ended-up having it pulled anyways as it was infecting the gums around it.. Might want to talk to your dentist honey, that's something you want to avoid.. They make partials, which look and act like real teeth.. That's so unfortunate hon, bet you have a really beautiful smile..:-))))))

I had medication for that also, another expense. Talk to her hon, ok?

Please??? It's important to get answers from those directly involved with your personal care, especially a dentist.. Here's a HUGE-HUG for you, Good Luck babe..:-))) Have a great weekend..