How long does it take for your period to regulate..?

Ive had my period for alomost a year now and i skipped last month, so how long does it take for your period to regulate?

Update:

Im almost 13

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Kasha
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It is different for everyone, certainly don't expect it to be regular until you are an adult as during your teens you are still developing physically, mentally and sexually so hormones affect your body, the hormones needed during your menstrual cycle may not be running smoothly and stress during your teens can affect your menstrual cycles too. Even when you reach adulthood there is nothing to say that you will be regular, although there are things that can help regulate your cycles such as taking evening primroise oil.

First you need to know what happens during a menstrual cycle. In a nutshell the Pituitary Gland in your brain starts releasing a hormone called Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH), when the levels of this hormone are high it tells your ovaries to start producing eggs. As those eggs grow they produce a hormone called Estrogen, when there is enough of this hormone the Pituitary Gland will stop releasing Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH) and instead will start releasing Luteinizing Hormone (LH). When the Luteinizing Hormone (LH) is high enough this causes you to ovulate – this is around 12-16 days into your menstrual cycle where a mature egg breaks away from your ovaries and travels down the fallopian tube, awaiting fertilization. Where the egg has been maturing in the ovaries it leaves the little case which housed it, this case breaks down and starts releasing a hormone called Progesterone, this hormone along with Estrogen makes the walls of your uterus plump up so that if you get pregnant it can care for the fertilized egg, but if the egg is not fertilized then the Progesterone stops being released and this results in menstruation – your period!

Complicated right? Hell yeah, and that's what is happening every menstrual cycle. In simpler terms...

Think of your reproductive system like a factory, like a new factory there may be some parts that are a little slow at first or not producing enough materials for the final product to be made, so production is slowed or stopped – like your periods are now.

The Pituitary Gland is in charge of your menstrual cycles, but is also in charge of maturing too so during your teens when you're developing physically, sexually and mentally it's normal for periods to be a little troublesome. It takes time for the release of hormones in the Pituitary Gland to get high enough to bring about a regular menstrual cycle, the same goes for other parts of your reproductive system, if not enough of a hormone is being released in one place then it won't trigger off release of another hormone elsewhere.

Irregular periods or missing periods all together does not mean there is something wrong, it can be perfectly normal and healthy and you shouldn't expect your periods to be regular until you are in your early twenties. For now stay relaxed, carry what you need with you so you are ready when your period does turn up and keep track of them on a calendar so you will start to see a pattern emerging. Watch out for signs of your period such as feeling more aroused or getting cramps, things can be done to avoid the negative things like cramps, but for now they may be a good way of letting you know your period is about to start. You may want to consider using a menstrual cup or softcup which are types of menstrual products, these can be used safely for up to 12 hours including when not menstruating so you can start using them during the day a few days before you think your period might start, this way it avoids the mess of getting your periods unexpectedly. Another idea is to take either Evening Primrose Oil or Black Cohosh capsules daily, these help to regulate your hormones which will help regulate your periods as well as help with things such as acne, menstrual cramps and PMS, all of which are avoidable when you know how, you can get these capsules from most health stores, pharmacies or even supermarkets without them costing too much.

Some misinformed people will suggest using hormonal birth control, contrary to popular belief this does not regulate your menstrual cycle at all, it's whole purpose is actually to suppress your menstrual cycle, as such your periods may come at regular times but only because they are forced to do so. As well as possible side-effects it has draw backs particularly for someone of your age as this is the perfect age to learn about what is normal for your body to better care for your sexual health – e.g. learning normal discharge during a particular point in your cycle from discharge due to infection. The negatives of hormonal birth control outweigh any positives, unfortunately many doctors still prescribe the pill for menstrual problems as it is easier for them than educating people, suggesting other treatments or investigating the problem further, thus the myth about hormonal birth control regulating menstrual cycles carries on and people continue to make decisions about their body without being informed.

I recommend taking a look at Natracare's Monthly Matrix, this is an interactive page that shows you what happens during your menstrual cycle, which may make it easier for you to understand if you are still unsure. http://www.natracare.com

I also recommend you take a look around Scarleteen, this site is aimed at teens but it is not patronizing so favored by a lot of adults too, it is very body-positive and sex-positive, very upbeat and their information is always reliable. http://www.scarleteen.com

• Login to reply the answers
  • How old are you? Sometimes they begin to regulate when your about 16-18. But as your hormones are over the place and your still growing, they'll be either on/off. So don't worry. It's normal. x

• 1 decade ago

my doctor said it can take up to two years. and skippping one month is nothing. it can be so irregular, that you can get it twice in a month, or skip 6 months! i skipped two months last time(i have only been egtting it for few months.

• 1 decade ago

i depends on the girl! some times it takes months and other times it takes a year or two but don't worry it will come regularly soon enough don't rush it

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

it seriously regulated after i lost my virginty.

i don't know if has anything to do with it, but it was around that time.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

about two years. i've had my period since june last year and im still irregular.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it takes a while

• 1 decade ago

Don't worry about it, it is perfectly normal.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.