Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Wet Sanding oil base paint on wood?

I have a desk im painting with a higloss white oil base paint, im going to wet sand the final coat with a 1500 or 2k grit , then i was going to use a finishing compound at the end to get a mirror like finish.

Should i use laquer or somthing after the final coat? Will it improve the gloss??

Thank you,

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Hi Ken,

Are you spraying or brushing on the paint? Application makes a big difference in the results you get, especially when using a gloss finish. Gloss shows you every defect on your surface, so for this reason, surface prep before you paint is key. Now to answer your two basic questions about sanding and applying some final coat. First the sanding? You will find sanding a freshly painted oil gloss surface bad news. Your sand paper will simply ball paint, and you will use many sheets of the stuff to keep a clean surface. When all the effort is done, you will definitely need a finish coat because you will have famously dulled your whole project. Gloss is meant to be the finish product with nothing more to add. I believe you are trying to apply auto-body techniques with your furniture. If so, your first coat of paint should be a highly sand-able white PRIMER, not a high gloss which is your finish coat. Use a high sand-able white primer first then do your sanding (DO NOT WET SAND WOOD) until the surface is smooth the way you want. Then apply your gloss....no more sanding after that. Sounds like you want a glass like finish? Do not use lacquer over oil, they are not compatible. The lacquer will soften the oil and it will ruin the surface unless you use lacquer-base paints from the beginning this idea is no good. If you want a glass finish, your only option would be an oil clear polyurethane. This however severely yellows anything white....you get your glass, but its yellow. After you've sanded your desk, then primed, then lightly sand the primer, vacuum, then applied your gloss white oil your project should be over and looking good. One more thing, Build a little room out of clear plastic around your desk. this will keep air particles from landing on your desk as it dries which can be a long time with oil...a kind of sterile room. Good Luck Ken, Larry

• 5 years ago

Wet Sanding Wood

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.