breast milk question.?

I just gave birth to a baby girl one week ago today. I am pumping and bottle feeding her breast milk. My question is, I have a 14 month old, that I only breastfed for her first month. Would it be okay to give her breast milk in her sippy cup? My hubby suggested it, but It just sounds weird to me. Good or not good? Thanks!

I wasnt sure if the change in diet would affect her.. Going from breastmilk to formula, to plain milk...and now breast milk.

Favorite Answer

The World Health Organization recommends breast milk for AT LEAST two years, and longer if the mother desires. The American Academy of Pediatrics is just barely catching up with their one year recommendation.

If your supply is fine, I say go for it. But expect less stomach bugs, ear infections and colds from the added immunity boost you're giving BOTH your kids.

YAY Breast Milk!

Did you know they give breast milk to cancer patients who can't keep anything down in studies? It's improved their cure rate and their weight and how they feel during chemo. Amazing, huh?

Yep, You could do it and it will help build her immune system for the winter season.

"After the new baby is born, it's not unusual for the weaned child to want to taste the milk or ask to nurse again. Some may not remember how to suckle, others will complain about the taste and there will be some who would be happy to resume a breastfeeding relationship. If you do not want to breastfeed the older sibling, you could offer a taste of your milk in a cup or spoon."

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bfpregnant.html

"The common term (in the USA) for breastfeeding siblings concurrently is "tandem nursing." Mothers have practiced tandem nursing for centuries, and today there are still many families with nursing toddlers who do not wean when their mother becomes pregnant, or who resume breastfeeding after the birth of a new sibling (see also the FAQ on breastfeeding during pregnancy)."

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/tandem.html

• Neen

I don't think so but it can't hurt? Maybe that is a question only your doctor would know.

But make sure you have enough for your newborn before you give it to your 14 month old.

Congrats! I had a baby boy 3 months ago... Joshua Ryan

• dasher

of course it wouldnt hurt but it may confuse her slightly.

once she gets the taste of the breastmilk ( which i have read is a bit sweet ) you may have trouble getting her back to regular milk. Maybe mix it with regular milk.

but personally, i dont think i would do it.

Why would you want to do that at this point? for nutritional value ? i am sure she is eating and drinking just fine to get all the nutrients she needs

Your 14 month old no longer requires the nutrients in breastmilk since she should be getting all the vitamins and nutrition from the variety of foods she should be eating.

I would concentrate on your new baby because your body is producing the right breastmilk that is appropriate for her. You don't want to ruin your supply and demand for your new baby.

• Pippin

There's no harm whatsoever in doing it.

However, as hard as it is to pump, you're really going to need all you have for your newborn. If you're pumping more than she can drink now, freeze it. You'll probably need it a few months down the line.

It wouldn't hurt her. Never thought of it. Hope there is enough to go around! You are doing the best thing breastfeeding your one week old. Congrats to you!

It isn't going to hurt by any means, you're feeding it to your NB baby.

As far as nutrition, I don't think it really matters at this point. I think nutritional value goes down at 1 year of age? I can't remember.

Go for it if you want though.

my doc said after a year there is no need to breast feed.

Source(s): new mommy of a 2 month old