help revise this essay on something that i have enjoyed?

Inspiring, defining, and life changing was the time I spent at the Governor’s Honors program only those words can do it justice. The Governor’s Honors Program is designed to house the most talented, motivated, and academically gifted students of the Georgia and allows them to do what they do best, all the while, creating an ideal environment for camaraderie. Yes the course work was indeed challenging, but because it was about my passionate interest (social studies), I had no problem with the work. I would not learn anywhere else that a serial killer is a product of severe neglect issues or that some are just born that way. It is eerie, yet fascinating, at the same time to know that we have that knowledge at our disposal.

The same could be said about a dam. It is hard to just take a day and ponder a dam unless you are an engineer. Yet the construction of a dam has huge implications and is a major decision that should not be made lightly by anyone. For example the Three Gorges Dam in China will be so grand that it will be visible from space and be able to provide the rapidly developing nation of China with a renewable form of energy. At the same time the dam will cause deforestation and waste. The Yangtze River was one of the fastest in the world which allowed it to push all the toxic material being poured into it out of China. The dam will slow it down and the waste will build up causing huge environmental distress in China.

The program allowed me to connect with people that were like me. The kids at the program all were highly motivated and will be hugely successful (like I plan to be). It is awe inspiring to sit at a table with a complete group of strangers and just start discussing politics and leave lunch learning something new. It always impressed me that I could talk about nearly anything and my peers would understand, something which does not happen to at high school, but I know will in college. I can’t wait!

• buz
    Favorite Answer

For me, the time I spent at the Governor’s Honors Program was inspiring, defining, and life changing. The Governor’s Honors Program is designed to bring together the most talented, motivated, and academically gifted students of Georgia. It allows them to do what they do best, while creating an ideal environment for camaraderie. The course work was challenging, but it since it was about social studies, my passionate interest, I had no problem with the work. I would not have learned anywhere else that a serial killer is a product of severe neglect issues, or that some serial killers are just born that way. It was eerie, yet fascinating, to learn that we have this kind of knowledge at our disposal.

I could say the same about what I learned about dams. The construction of a dam has huge implications and is a decision that should not be made lightly. For example, the Three Gorges Dam in China will be so large that it will be visible from space, and will provide a rapidly developing nation with renewable energy. But it will also will cause deforestation and waste. The Yangtze River, where the dam will be built, was one of the fastest in the world. This allowed it to push all the toxic material being poured into it out of China. The dam will slow it down, and the resulting waste buildup will cause new environmental problems for China.

The program allowed me to connect with people that were like me. All of the kids at the program were highly motivated and hope to be hugely successful, as I do . It was inspiring to sit at a lunch table with complete strangers, discuss politics, and leave having learned something new. I was impressed that I could talk about nearly anything and my peers understood me, something that does not happen in high school. I know this will also happen in college, and I can’t wait!